[TWBD] Wombat (Sun 25th Sep)

Here are the details for the next “There Will Be Dirt” ride :

There Will Be Dirt #22

Visiting : Gisborne, Blackwood, Wombat State Forest
Distance : 105km
When : Sunday 25th September, ~7:00am @ Gisborne
Where : TWBD 22 - Wombat in VIC, Australia | Bike Map | MapMyRIDE
More details : There Will Be Dirt

This ride will start in Gisborne and dive straight into the Wombat State Forest where we’ll spend all day on dirt roads and maybe some singletrack. We’ll travel the length of the forest, from east to west and then back again via a different route. Not a great deal of climbing but a lot of dirt and a lot of trees. Should be awesome.

I’ll be riding to/from the start/finish and I encourage others to do the same. Meet at the roundabout at the corner of Robertson Rd and Aitken St. Contact me if you want me to wait.

See ya there!

===============================

What’s all this then?

This is a series of road rides where “road” may include smooth bitumen, bike track, potholed country roads, gravel/dirt roads and singletrack, all in the same ride. There may be significant climbs and the distance will be over 100km.

The emphasis is on getting out into the countryside, off the beaten track, the smaller and more obscure the road the better. I’ll be riding a cyclocross bike but all bikes are welcome. Don’t ride something you’re afraid to get dirty. Rides continue rain/hail/shine.

Angry,

Will i get through this one on the CX, as i don’t think i can handle too many bumps or another touchdown still eating 8 panadene a day.

Conflict with Cross Melburn :frowning:

But if they hold it at Lysty again I might skip it for this…

I’m tentatively down for this, riding 63xc. Knowing this area pretty well, I would say there’s more climbing than MapMyRide indicates, at steeper grades also. Just a heads up.

I might be up.

Yep, CX bike should be fine, it should be all pretty major dirt/gravel roads. You’d wanna make sure you’re recovered enough for a good hard day in the saddle though, with some out-of-the-saddle climbing. Bring panadeine :slight_smile:

EDIT: Also, 8 panadeine a day? Jeebus, I hope you’re joking!

Shhhhhh! :wink:

Yeah, I figured there’d be more climbing than mapmyride says. Some of those roads look vewy vewy squiggly. Might have to bring the MGG Garmin along and get some accurate numbers.

Also 63xc FTW! :slight_smile:

Getting better, down to 6 yesterday. hopefully 4, 2, 0

So i should be good for this.

I’m tentatively down for this too - I missed the last MGG ride - good excuse to get the Double Cross out on the dirt again - it’s been a month two.

I’m interested…

but not sure I’ll have the legs to keep up with you others,

I don’t know the area at all, are there any bail out options?

The better half in the Sag Wagon? Apart from turning back early I would suggest there are not many options.

Train station bail outs i can see are at ~54-56km mark, where you can cut off and head for Ballan.

or just before the massive climb at around 41km (and again at 78km), C318 will take you to Greendale where you can go right to Ballan or left to Bacchus Marsh (via Myrniong and the Penland Hills)

Good to see you will be going through Blakeville, where bike nerds originate from.

This.

Blackwood is about halfway. We stop there on the way out and also on the way back. You could see how you feel on the day and possibly turn around there making it Gisborne->Blackwood->Gisborne which would be about 50-60km. That’d be an awesome ride in itself.

FWIW, the pace is never high on these rides but I do try to keep it steady all day.

boom tish.

I saw it on the map and couldn’t resist :slight_smile:

So are we going to get any single track/fire trail in, Angry? If not I’ll probably ride the CX beater.

Put me down as a definate maybe :stuck_out_tongue:
61CX for me, though i may have to take the soft option and go SS

Sweet, well that sounds like a good compromise.
I’ll think I’ll come along and just bring a good map.

don’t think I’ll ride out to the start as would mean leaving my place around 5am. . .

anyone gonna drive and got space? I aint got no car, but I can prob source a bike rack. . .

Maybe, depends who turns up and who’s up for it. It’s going to be mainly (dirt) roads though.