Unknown frame build up

Agreed these would last about 5 minutes streeting it, getting a cheapy prebuilt velocity wheelset to plonk some hatorskins on if I want to get out and about more. Mostly plan to use it indoors and at track come summer season.

Finished the build early last week, been riding it a bit (just streeting for now). Really like the way it rides, very stiff, changes direction intuitively, still quite stable, 7600 cranks are awesome.

As pictured

-Unknown 53cm frame (all signs now say Petrus)
-Nitto 100mm stem, Nitto B125 bars
-Tange Levin headset
-Yellow label hard-anodised Wolber TX Profil on Dura-Ace 7500 Hi-Flange hubs (100x9/120x10 2xfixed)
-Veloflex Carbon 20C
-Dura-Ace 7600 167.5mm crankset, 50t hard ano Dura-Ace 'ring
-Black Selle Italia Flite 1990
-KMC chain whilst I acquire a HKK Vertex.
-Dura-Ace cog and lockring (temporary noname ones on for a few days)
-Campagnolo Veloce cartridge BB
-Kyokuto Sprint pedals, MKS clips, Soma straps.
-Thomson post
-Energie cork tape

I blew up my quads big time on the weekend, only did like 10km on it but the process of backpedalling from my house down to the cycle path (150m drop over 1.2kms) has left my quads swollen and visibly bruising!
I think I will try and track down a fork which will let me run a brake and drop the gearing to maybe 46-18.

Rad dude! great to see it built and ridden. The wheels look especially nice. Ease up on the cockpit drop if you want to make it more street friendly. Nitto Pearl with those 125’s.

^ What Gypo said.

Pearl with 125’s will make it nice and streetable!!! Otherwise looks awesome!

What gearing are you running now? 46:18 will be about 65gi??? 50:18 would be about 72 off the top of my head? I could be way off?

And that run down velo looks rad!

Yeah something else to get sorted by summer. I don’t mind it how it is, but yes its a bit over the top when you’re hunkered down in the hoods.

This is what happens when you abandon an outdoor track for ~25 years

50/16 gearing currently which is ~81 gear inches, ergo exploded quads trying to regulate speed down the incline from my house. Surprisingly my totally smashed knees are fine though, its just muscle strain.

Real nice build, silver post would finish it perfectly!

I run 49/16 Daily and have for the last 18 months with no issues. But we are all freaks over in the west. But i’ll leave it at that before a GI debate erupts. Ride what you are comfortable with. if 80 is too tall, try 75!

You should see the out door drop in Collie in country WA. Not as mossy and damp as that one, but more potholed. At least you could maybe ride that!!!

Enjoy!

So are you saying I should try slightly less gearing and significantly more Swan Lager perhaps, HLC?

Just more Swan Lager, or Emu Export (my preference) and happy dayyzzzzzz

Bike turned out awesome! don’t change the colour I really like it. If you decide you want to gear down i’ll take the 50t chainring off your hands. You’ve been running 82 gear inches, here in P-town thats almost perfect. Been running 84 gear inches for quite some time 48/15

pretty helpful calculator: BikeCalc.com - Bicycle Gear Inches Chart

Hokay so I’m getting a set of these from Cyclomondo Greg (who does fantastic work!).

Which I understand are layed out like this:

Now I’m hoping that the chrome on my ends will be good enough to leave them unpainted, but I daresay the same won’t apply for the majority of the fork.

I’m toying with white or yellow for the body of the letters, but looking for some suggestions on frame colour. It was originally a pale gold not dissimilar to Ford’s Gold Rush (which you see on BA+ Falcons), my first idea is to go that way with the decals as above.

So is it a petrus?
I thought it had clover cut outs and thought it was a Perkins or that wa builder

Confirmed by David Brotherton from pics of the frame, pre 1979 apparently as post '79 they went to Cinelli bb shells. The clover cutouts were used by a few different builders back then.

Starting to wonder if I should try for a period correct 1980ish build now I have that info, being right now its very much a late 80s sort of build. I figure the right saddle and post plus some 7500 cranks would get it almost there (I guess the Wolbers are a bit new, if I could pair up a 28H 7500 front hub then I could lace up some nice NOS hard ano Galli tubulars which are kicking around).

Its such a beautiful bike as it is, dont change a thing

Now with sensible Columbus fork (ex-1990s Vetta), sensible Shimano Dura-Ace ax stem, sensible drop Cinelli Pista bars and Goldfinger/Shimano 600 dual pivot brake.

Fork is ~15mm longer than original but I think its not toooo bad all considered, feels fine anyway, rides a bit softer than the original fork. Feel its a shame to wear into the hard ano on the otherwise untouched wolbers so have a used shallow box wolber and matching 7500 hub to lace up for the front.

Really like it ^

Well this is with the powdercoaters being stripped of its paint as we speak. Underneath the purple was more purple, gold, red, and gold. Fork was full chrome but in bad shape, deep scuffing and exposed substrate so it will be getting coated to match the frame, frame was chromed from the ends up to the first 3" or so along the seat and chainstays. Fork and frame ends might stay chrome.

So I’ve narrowed my choices of color down to five, but need a nudge in the right direction. It will have decals as per the orange one above, black outlined white letters.

Choices are:

Metallic/pearl finishes:

Sparkle light blue

Sparkle red

Emerald green

Or out of left field

Neon yellow with an extra hit of clear coat

Opinions?

Silver Jaguar post ordered, might change saddle out for a kashimax too. Back to brakeless and the original fork. Might get some gumwall veloflex for it.

Green.

I agree. Would look great in green