Vic's chopper squad to monitor Hell Ride

Taken from the national nine news wesite:

Melbourne’s notorious Hell Ride cycle route will come under increased scrutiny by a Victoria Police “eye in the sky”.

From Saturday, a police helicopter will monitor the unofficial ride, which attracts hundreds of cyclists who race up to 40 km through the city’s bayside suburbs, from Black Rock to Mount Eliza, at speeds of up to 60 km/h.

The additional Air Wing patrol follows an incident last August when one Hell Ride cyclist hit a pedestrian trying to cross at pedestrian lights on Beach Road, Mentone.

James Gould, 77, later died from his injuries.

The cyclist has been charged with failing to stop at a red light - which carries a maximum $215 fine.

Victoria Police State Bicycle Coordinator Arty Lavos said the aerial patrol was a way to proactively monitor the cycle route and would relay any traffic breaches to police following the event on the ground.

“The use of the police Air Wing gives us a broader perspective on how the cyclists are travelling collectively and potentially puts a stop to any problems before they occur,” Acting Sergeant Lavos said.

"The Hell Ride has gained a certain level of notoriety in past years and the use of the Air Wing reinforces Victoria Police’s commitment to road safety along this route.

"However it is also the responsibility of all road users - both cyclists and motorists - to obey the road rules at all times and show consideration for others who are travelling the same route.

"The small percentage of people who choose to disregard this will be dealt with by police.

“And with the Air Wing in operation, there is no chance that you won’t be caught.”

Acting Sgt Lavos said the number of cyclists taking part in the ride traditionally dropped off during winter but the most recent survey count revealed up to 8,000 riders in over 200 significant bunches.

Police would target a range of offences from penalty notices through to other serious offences regarding the conduct of road users, Acting Sgt Lavos said.

The first patrol on Saturday will operate between 7am and 8.30am (AEST) with other patrols scheduled for July 21 and August 4.

Do they have some surveillance equipment to do this or does this rely on people in a chopper trying to identify one or more individuals in a group of at least dozens, potentially wearing the same or similar clothing and using similar bikes?

Seems unlikely to me that they’ll be able to effectively identify an individual rider in a bunch, from a chopper.

Do they have some surveillance equipment to do this or does this rely on people in a chopper trying to identify one or more individuals in a group of at least dozens, potentially wearing the same or similar clothing and using similar bikes?

Seems unlikely to me that they’ll be able to effectively identify an individual rider in a bunch, from a chopper.
[/quote]

Especially these days when almost half of them are on Specialized Tarmac SLs and wearing the faggy pink or white specialized kit. :smiley:

No way would they be able to identify riders.

Eye in the sky reports:
“It was the guy in the T-Mobile Jersey!”

Following headline reads:
“37 cyclists detained for questioning”

Especially these days when almost half of them are on Specialized Tarmac SLs and wearing the faggy pink or white specialized kit.
[/quote]

Imagine the paperwork they’ll have to through sorting out all those riders who are riding more than two abreast :slight_smile:

Right… this count would seem to assume that every cyclist riding beach road on a Saturday is considered to be on the ‘Hell Ride’ ?

Which sounds like a beat-up to me?

Anyway, this weekend, remember to bring your best one-fingered salute to greet the flying pigs! :wink:

From Saturday, a police helicopter will monitor the unofficial ride, which attracts hundreds of cyclists who race up to 40 km through the city’s bayside suburbs, from Black Rock to Mount Eliza, at speeds of up to 60 km/h.

Cars go faster down Beach road on a daily basis especially agro 4WD Arseholes

Acting Sgt Lavos said the number of cyclists taking part in the ride traditionally dropped off during winter
The Bunters drop off during winter

The first patrol on Saturday will operate between 7am and 8.30am (AEST) with other patrols scheduled for July 21 and August 4.
[/quote]

7am to 9am is the Bunter peak hour! Bet the cops pick them up and claim they are the Hell Riders so the Media can run with it.

I know there may be some fixies who don’t care what happens to the Roadies, but in the end this will effect all cycling fraternities. Be afraid people, if the Media (Herald Scum and channel Nien) hate one thing its Leftie cycling scum. The numb nut Bunters out on Beach road are giving us all a bad name.

I certainly wouldn’t say that, but two things irritate me about this.

1. The focus of attention is wrong. Why use the chopper? Why not have…wait for it…more cops on the road enforcing the law, amongst ALL road users. Not just on Bitch Rd either.

2. Anyone who can’t manage to stop at traffic lights and generally be a courteous road user, especially in a hot spot like Bitch Rd, probably deserves to get fined.

Why so Bitter get your arse handed to you by one them recently did you ?

I can’t help thinking the Police are just trying to get into the spirit of the Tour !

Not bitter dude, just observant :smiley:

Heh… you tell me who’s breaking the law here :stuck_out_tongue:

With Carbon Zipps discs front and rear!

The guy in the 4WD. He’s crossing double white lines.

But that is far too obvious! Why use a car or motorbike even (no way) pushbike land patrols when we can use helicopters or maybe fighterplanes or battleships at the beach front sections to catch the pesky roadies?

One person gets hit and killed by a cyclist and all cyclists are evil, but hey, the hundreds of people that get killed by car drivers don’t matter because it is expected to happen. The main focus on car drivers is speeding, granted it can be an issue but idiocy, complacency, impatience and a whole range of other reasons are to blame for “accidents”. Sorry, a bit OT with that comment but it really sh!ts me how stupid people can be, these people can’t walk through a shopping centre without wreaking havoc and they have a car licence?!

I think I’ll move to Holland!

Take it easy Fi, you’ll burst a vessel :slight_smile:

Anyway, you should be happy. You’ve got a fresh new wheel.

Awe I’m ok, I’ve just been drinking korean rice wine!
By and large I can get by in Melbourne’s streets no hassle but sometimes I guess I get a little riled up…sorry :oops:

On a lighter note I like my new wheel a lot and will enjoy putting it on the “new” bike and then riding it!

What really Grinds My Gears is:

A ped got killed by a cyclist - that’s bad.
They put a bike-chopper in the sky - that’s… useful.

Pick-up a paper or watch the news and accidents involving cars and fatalaties are billed as adding to to the road toll as though there is some formulae whereby people must die and that’s ok, it’s just a toll, like driving on CityLink, so suck it up bitches.

Bleh, now I’ve become a ranting forum poster, what with the bold and the glow and the cynicism. I think I’ll just go back to that thread questioning CraigC’s sexuality and see if I can learn some new curses and I think I hear Dangerous Dave calling to me.

No need to question my sexuality, it left me due to disgust (along with my marbles).

Anyone with a Zipp Disc on beach road needs to be shot, i don’t care what bike your on or what kit your wearing …

chill out people!
sounds like some people need to go riding and relax.