Weekend ride. City to Manly.

Not sure if anyone has done this ride before, it was quite an interesting one. Needless to say, I took the ferry home.

I was inspired buy the Rainier Schaefer video on Saturday and thought I’d torture myself with something similar, that and I have a mate that lives in Manly so what better place to finish that with a beer at 4 Pines. Rainier Schaefer on Vimeo

My observations. Total time - about 1hr 20min.

I live in the city so a quick little jaunt up Kent Street’s bike lane saw me on approach to the bridge pretty quickly. My suggestion would be to take the slightly longer route to glide onto the bridge rather than a slog up the steep entry ramp. This occurs if you head right onto the bridge with the cars and past the observatory. A shock to the system but gets you going.

Look at the views as you cross the bridge on a sunny Sunday, pretty. The other end of the bridge you have to dismount and walk down stairs, unless you’re hardcore (not me) and want to take the ramp. Oh, be warned there is markets on there on a Sunday so you’ll end up in someone’s stall or sausage sammich.

Finding my way out of the rabbit warren there wasn’t too hard, it’s a back alley cruise in marked lanes under a bridge to the right and then the grind up the Pacific Hwy before turning right onto Miller Street. Flattens out for a bit, before digging in and reaching Falcon Street. It’s plain sailing and a lot of fun from here.

Military Road, for those that know how much of a carpark this is on a Sunday, is a lot of fun to cruise down, working through the cars while racing to get in front of the odd bus that is running.

Mid way down Spit Road is where it gets interesting. The smart money says that you should peel off to the right and down Parriwi Road which is a reasonably safe way to reach the Spit Bridge, also slower as you have to try and cross the road at both ends. I took the direct route, with a few motor cycles, and went right down Spit Road before peeling left and the preferred cycle route. The front brake (yes I have one as I don’t know how you’d do this brakeless) got a workout and I’m thankful I had one.

The battle begins. This incline is called Battle Boulevard for a reason. I had to stop on this twice as it was just too much for me to do all in one slog and my feet and legs were burning, at this point I questioned why I had done a workout earlier in the morning. Turning right into Ponsonby is a joy as this incline is slight but evens out quite well before heading into Sydney Road.

Same again on Sydney Road, traffic stopped mainly and moving slowly. A little brakey before ducking right into Condamine and then left into White Street. This gentle ride downhill onto Lauderdale Ave is quite peaceful as knowing the ‘riding’ is done is reassuring. Watch the people in pain as they climb this hill, also watch out for the people doing u-turns in all manner of driveways along this street. Mainly tourists and definitely not looking out for cyclists.

Cruise down to the Esplanade, lock up, grab a beer. A change of clothing was helpful as with the warmer weather yesterday I was drenched.

If anyone wants to attempt this with me I might be up for it again in a few weeks.

We did this as a fixed group (Oath to Ride) a couple of weeks ago - pretty cruisy. I’d say most people on the forums have done this but kudos for venturing across the bridge and writing it up.

Please hold off on writing up the exciting trip to La Perouse - I’m not sure I can handle the suspense.

Spit Road was killer back when I was all NOBR AKES n shit.

I’m only new around here and a fixed n00b. Searching for Oath to Ride now, sounds like fun.

NOBR AKES ias OK down spit road if you get the green at the bottom (heading north), if you get the red you can do a really nice long whip skidz. Last time i did that ride I dogged it and walked down spit road - it was peak hour and blowing a gale and i was little drunk, didn’t feel like dying.

Also on the Manly side of the spit, just carry your bike up the stairs - quicker & easier.

Charlie on the forums had a great NOBR AKES near miss at the spit lights heading North - lights changed to green with him on the wrong side of the lines, ended up in the parking area.

Not all of us are monster’s like you!**

** i’ve never ridden the spit, but i was in Manly for a wedding last weekend and now I want to. Looks like rad fun.

It is hella fun - we had a broad range of skills in the bunch but everyone got there with a smile on their dial and parked up at Hemmingways hipster bar. Bombing the spit is hella fun in the middle of the night with no-one around and even mid morning heading South is rad.

There are some good routes on either side of Military Road if you want to dodge the traffic, depending on how many extra hills you want to tackle. I’d recommend the Bantry Bay side for quiet roads, but not for fixed brake-less.

Also after climbing Battle Boulevard, keep right at the big roundabout, and go up over the top to hook up with White Street/Lauderdale Avenue.

If you want a 24% hill to climb like in the video description - hit up Col du Rainbow Strava Segment | Col du Rainbow or Attunga Strava Segment | Attunga St

A long challenge lies on Awaba St - Strava Segment | Awaba to the lights

Awaba(berg) if you want to make your legs scream. And there is a really steep little climb that is concreted with ridges for grip on McLeod Street, Mosman. Google Maps I’m not sure if there is a segment for it, but it is interesting to tackle if you are in the area.

Thanks guys. I thought doing 90 seconds on the AirDyne was heart (leg) breaking. I can’t imagine getting up these grades just yet.

…let me know if one of you guys is doing it again or something similar and I’ll come from the north (I live in Narrabeen) to join. We could catch up midway and ride to Manly together.

Yeah I’d be keen if you guys do it again PM me too!

I do this regularly on a Sunday hungover.
On the roadie and Lycra though. But I’ll post in “I’m going for a ride”

I’d be up for this today sometime if anyone is keen

I even have the fixed gear rolling atm if that’s the hip thing to do still.

would have been keen if I wasn’t fractured. Booo!

Thinking about a ride out to Watsons Bay tomorrow morning from the city. Anyone else?

shoulder is healing up pretty good… if anyone is riding often in the city and wants to go for cruises and or night rides send me a PM with your mobile number and i’ll let u know when i’m riding!

Get on the Oath To Ride fb group, throw up some ride suggestions there or see what other ppl have planned.