What would you tell yourself 10 years ago?

pffft, what you old me know.

mine got me through the last 4 years of high school trouble free…then when i needed it again 6 years later it was ready to go.

Don’t get me wrong, i clocked up about 25 000km on that thing, but it just wasn’t as good as I thought.

Save your money.

1. Don’t get engaged next year she will take you for alot of cash…

2. Listen to your old man he is smart as hell…

3. The Royal Exchange in Toowong is not your friend…

4. Finish UNI now it’s harder when you go back 3 years later…

5. You can’t sing please stop going to Kareoke…

It’s funny about the travel thing: I just don’t have the bug. I’ve been to a few places around the world, but the thought of “doing” places to cross them off some sort of list just grates on me.

Here’s 2 things I would’ve told myself 16 years ago:

1. Don’t buy the Cooper S that’s in pieces, buy the GT Clubman that’s running and registered.
  2. Buy the shitty flat you live in, it’ll triple in value in the next 10 years.

Edit: but if you like travelling, do as much of it as you can while you’re still young.

start instagram, sell instagram.

Out of interest, what places did you hit up?

I loved Europe. Mainly because I studied a lot of the Roman history through high school and college, so that interest was there from the start.

One thing I would have loved to do is got to know my grandparents on both sides to get a bit more of a history as to what my families story is. My pop’s side is a little suss to be honest and given we found out he lied about our surname and his birthdate on his importation papers when he came to Australia, I want to know why.

Not much at all I learnt the hard way.
It’s the best way
Life’s about experience, both good and bad.
That’s what makes us what we are

I would have said, try and maintain a certain level of fitness.
Because when you try and get fit after 30 it’s fuckin hard.

Sage advice:

don’t ollie those stairs, 10 years of pain and irritation awaits.

Not many really. Hung out in California for a bit, went to NYC and London, saw a bit of the deep south of the USA.
I dunno, I guess I’m just not the travelling type.

1. Live by yourself for as long as you can
  2. If you don’t get on with your girlfriends parents, get out.
  3. Don’t stop riding a bike
  4. Keep in touch with old friends – I’m crap at this, even with Facebook.
  5. Have kids when you’re a teenager – I’d be kicking back, riding a lot more and probably wouldn’t have aged so quickly if I’d done this.

Still no regrets though.

don’t worry about those people who say you won’t amount to anything, because in ten years you’ll have a fucking time machine!

1. Save money, use that saved money to travel or at least live in another state for a bit. You didn’t need all those skateboards.
  2. If you do happen to be unemployed… Sell your car, buy a fucking bike. Seriously. You’ll save so much money on public transport.
  3. Girls can be trouble. Housemates girlfriends can also be friends with other girls and you may not know that, so keep your mouth shut.
  4. Study or something. You’ll end up in a shitty government job you hate.
  5. Don’t turn down the offer to work in IT so you can start screen printing… There’s no money in screen printing.
  6. Go to the dentist regularly.

Buy shares in Google.

Be awesome

1. Spend more time with your kids and less time at the office — you only get one crack at being a good father and ‘quality time’ is a myth.

2. Other people can only make you unhappy if you allow yourself to be unhappy (I’m still working on this one).

3. Don’t lose your compassion — but recognise when you’re dealing with other people’s shit and don’t get sucked into it.

4. Spend more time with your family and friends — it makes you a happier and nicer person.

5. Your wife is a wonderful, talented and generous woman, and you should never take her for granted. You already know this — but you should remind yourself of it more often.

6. Don’t worry about other investments until your mortgage is paid off.

7. Lotto is a waste of time, money & angst — but if you get this message, then the winning numbers for the Tatts Lotto draw for 20 April 2002 are 40, 14, 5, 32, 22 and 35 (supplementaries 8 and 16) with a first division prize of $1.2 million. The winners of the Melbourne Cup for the next ten years are (2002) Media Puzzle, (2003, 2004 & 2005) Makybe Diva, (2006) Delta Blues, (2007) Efficient, (2008) Viewed, (2009) Shocking, (2010) Americain and (2011) Dunaden.

8. Get more active. Spend more time on a bike and at the beach. Spend less time reading and in front of a screen. Learn to surf — you’ll suck at it, but you’ll have a lot of fun.

9. Don’t let bad experiences with some people affect your friendships with others. Take people as you find them. That said, don’t trust Janice on any level or it will end badly.

10. Buy the Lambretta.

These two are perfect!!!

So, are we all destined to live lives of regret?