Wheel help

I really want to update my wheels on my roadie. It’s currently set up with a campy 8 speed drivetrain. If I were to buy newer wheels, to make them 8 speed compatible is it as simple as a change over of the freehub? Is this an expensive exercise?

Thanks in advance!!

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure there is no way to run modern wheels with the older campag 8 speed cass’s. From memory they totally changed the freehub bodies when they went to 9 speed and wheel manufactures do not provide free hub bodies for both 8 speed and the new 9,10 speed standard. Happy to be proven wrong but I think this is the case. Having said there may be some 8 speed aftermarket case that fit the new standard.

Yep, the spline pattern on the freehubs changed with 9sp.

Here’s a long shot - Miche sprockets can be bought individually and come in in both campag and shimano spline patterns, spacers of various width are also available. You might (and I stress might) be able to bodge something that works with a shimano 9sp wheelset and a creative combo of Miche sprockets & spacers - Call Paul Hillbrick (at Hillbrick), he might be able to help you with this but like I said it’s a long shot.

Sounds like it’s a pain In the backside to do, I’ll stick with your shamals CC.

In an earlier life I might have tried it, now I’d probably strip, polish & sell the 8sp :wink:

Hillbrick 02 9820 4011
Miche sprockets
Spacers

Easy

Well there you go :smiley:

(and hey how come pony bikes is never open when I go past?)

I’ve been on holidays for two weeks, but
Tuesday to Thursday 11am to 6pm
Friday 11am to 7pm
Saturday 10am to 4pm
We will be going to summer hours and also opening on Mondays again in about 3 weeks

Hey Sasha, have you had a flood of orders for copies of that sweet hotrod bike of yours featured in the lastest Treadlie mag? - it is sick and I wants one.

you could prolly get some nice NOS 8sp hubs from ebay etc and lace them to whatever you like

People want… till they find out the price!