Where's erle?

I heard the eBay master got banned for speaking out about the new padlock heavy For Sale section rules.

Hmmmm

[/locked]

He’s having some time off.

he’s dead isn’t he.

did you Spud? Did you… do it?

He’s gone for a ride with this guy:

boom-tish

:evil:

Spud, did you put him in the naughty corner?

I reckon situations like this might be avoided by maybe…not locking threads so much. We are all big boys and girls, and if someone is out of line surely the fine members of this fine forum will not hesitate to put them right. Come on mods, you can handle being called out in public once in a while…can’t you?

Look out speedwell,
Now you’ve gone and brought it back up,

Get ready to feel the wrath of the admin.

Saw the banned one at Pony last night on his nice Coppi.

5day suspension… and no longer in the running for the Brownlow.

Yeah I put him in the naughty corner. Threads like thisare a waste of my time and everyone elses, and clearly have no place here. I can handle being ‘called out’ but making threads complaining without making valid arguments isn’t the way to fix things. For Sale posts are going to be locked (and, if they dont meet the criteria listed here, deleted) for now. Off-topic discussion is fine most other places, but sometimes moderation is necessary to filter the wheat from the chaff and keep it all on a fixed-gear tangent.

As I’ve said before, if anyone has a problem with the actions of Administrators or Moderators here, feel free to email or PM us.

You must admit,
The lock my balls one was kinda funny though.

In soviet fixed.org balls find ‘you’ funny. :smiley:

He did make another thread, it got locked.

Trouble with that is, lots of times a mod comes by, makes the final post in the thread, then locks it, leaving no opportunity for the poster to defend themselves. It’s kind of like saying “I’ll call you a naughty boy in public, but if you want to say anything about it, you better only do it in private”. See Captain Commuter’s “racism” threads from a few months back.

a) I’m sure if you looked at that other thread you can work out why it was locked.
b) As I’ve said before, if anyone has a problem with the actions of Administrators or Moderators here, feel free to email or PM us.

Or you can kick and scream in multiple threads but don’t expect me to listen :smiley:

And look at the intelligent discourse that became.

We don’t actually like to have to spend our time trying to come up with rules to deal with the stupid behaviour. But unfortunately experience shows that it’s necessary.

There’s also some all care and no responsibility at play here - everyone wants to be treated like responsible adults, but some also seem like to be able to behave like children and not take responsibility for it (and that’s not a dig at Erle, or anyone specifically).

Aside from the recent changes to for sale posts, there are actually no prescribed moderating rules here. I’d prefer to have as little regulation as possible, everywhere. The primary reason this place exists is to be a useful resource for fixed gear cycling in Australia. It’s not a free for all playground. That is why rules are now being applied.

There are now approaching 1300 registered users. New topics, new posts and registrations are continually increasing, month by month. Along with that there has been a direct effect on signal to noise ratio.

I’d be very happy to have a sensible, reasoned discussion about rules and moderation. That doesn’t seem possible on the forums, but I’d love to be proven wrong. And to my knowledge, you could could count on one finger the number of PMs or emails mods have ever received to discuss rules and moderation.

Believe it or not, admins and mods spend a lot of time and effort trying hard to do a good job in everyone’s interest.

The problem I have is the lack of consultation with the changes and the way it was implemented. Also, the way we’re spoken to sometimes is a little unprofessional and a bit out of line if you ask me.

Read the Rules.

DO NOT REPLY TO FOR SALE POSTS

DO NOT REPLY TO YOUR OWN FOR SALE POSTS

READ THE FUCKING RULES!

I don’t think the changes are the answer. My spoke cards got snapped up in a matter of minutes but I had no way to inform the kids to stop PMing me. Now my inbox is clogged with 683 messages and I have to go through them one by one in case there’s an important message that erle wants me to get out. :wink:

Surely there’s a better way.

Yeah I heard you the first time, as I said in the post directly before yours, trouble with that is, lots of times a mod comes by, makes the final post in the thread, then locks it, leaving no opportunity for the poster to defend themselves. It’s kind of like saying “I’ll call you a naughty boy in public, but if you want to say anything about it, you better only do it in private”. See Captain Commuter’s “racism” threads from a few months back.

Thanks for belittling open discussion as “kicking and screaming”, though.

On another forum I frequent, in the For Sale section, only the person posting the for sale can reply - i.e. to update details.

I am not very smart with all the coding and stuff. It could use a different forum ‘template’ (I guess you call it) so we might not be able to do that here.

Fair enough.

Here’s my perception - there’s a fair amount of bullshit irrelevant posts, that are mostly harmless and for the most part left alone. From time to time the bullshit gets so thick that it gets locked or deleted - sometimes angrily.

Remember that the primary objective of moderation is to keep the content relevant, particularly for people who are searching for info.

Mods also spend lots of time fixing posts where the quoting is fucked or the ]
I don’t think the changes are the answer.
[/quote]

OK. I don’t expect everybody to like it. I want everyone to at least understand the motivation for it.

I’m happy to hear ideas for alternatives.

The For Sale forums are intended to be a noticeboard for people to sell stuff. At the moment they suffer from two problems:

1. irrelevant chat about whatever…or requests for info that should’ve been included in the original post.
  2. old threads being resurrected by (often new) users for something that was for sale months or years ago.

Due to the limitations of the forum software we are left with locking and deleting as the only available tools (bearing in mind the honour system doesn’t work here anymore).

Like I said, constructive ideas are welcome.

you will probably be surprised to hear that i have absolutely no complaints about the way this forum is run.
it’s one of the better ones ive seen.

BTW Matty, i cant believe you actually sold those spokecards, thats hilarious,

ive got some used train tickets if anybody wants them

Price: 2 euro
Quantity: 6 or 7
Condition: used

You missed the :wink:.

Just proving a point though.

possible solution: make more folks moderators.