Who rides singles one the street?

After a couple of months on some horrible old Open extreme’s I have put a new hoop and a single on the front of my beater. So smooth to ride on.
Anyone else ride singles and how have they lasted against flats?
E

george does. on the rear disc. but he has that whole zen~light as a feather thing

Get good tyres.

Conti Gator Skins tubular are ze best. And carry a can of Vittoria Pitstop.

Love that shit. Nothing like rolling old skool.

Reminds me of Sydney road this evening when all the traffic lights were down and chaos ensued - I’m a leaf on the wind.

I just got a bike that has singles. I’m intrigued and scared.

Don’t be stressed. I do 95% of my road training on singles. Big country kays and city bunch rides with no problem.

Just get good tyres, that’s the key. If you do get a puncture use a can of Vittoria Pitstop, will seal most things to get you home. Rip the tyre off and take it to 'old Jack to get fixed for about $15 and you’re off again.

Too easy, enjoy.

Well it supposedly has new tires on it, so that’s a start.

Maybe I won’t need a new wheelset, and just learn to curb my skids.

New tyres DON’T mean good tyres.

There’s on one or two types of singles I would trust and I probably would’t use them much on a townie.

Yeah, I’ll check the tires out tonight when I pick it up tonight.

What tires would you recommend?

I roll Conti Gatorskin singles 80% of the time. If I’m racing on a good surface I’ll probably use Conti GP4000’s but they do puncture a big easier I find.

Gatorskins are fine most of the time, rolling resistance is not too bad as well especially if you have them up around 150 - 160psi. I do usually just roll them at 120psi though unless the surface is super smooth.

Is it just me or is it hard to find good quality gum walled tyres?

vredestein… i had 2 sets that were all nice and old school looking that lasted for a while. i think they were ricorsos…

Well it’s got Vittoria Rubino’s on it at the moment. I’ll see how I go.