Why Fixed/SS?

I like riding my SS. I ride it to work everyday. What’s the point though? Why was the first one created?

Have you ever ridden fixed.

If not - try it.

My take on why I think the one gear thing has become fashionable again is due to the low maintence required on them (fixed lower than ss, due to one or now brakes) and as a reaction to all those people who ride $10K bikes.

Its simple.

I ride SS because it is fun, requires less maintenance, has made me a better rider (as has rigid MTB).
I love riding my MTB on trails where there are guys walking through wth their 6 inch travel bikes.
I have 2 SS’es and a fixie. I have no geared bikes and I have no 26" bikes.

You have seen the SS MTB but here is the SS roadie and the Fixed Track Bike.

And here is the 700c tribe.

Why Fixed?

Why Not?

for a longer answer:

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/articles/lee/lee.pdf

If you like SS, you’ll love fixed. Keep the Giant and build up a 700c fixie on an old road frame, in fact I may be able to help you out with a bike, what size frame do you ride?

I built one up a bit over a year ago and haven’t looked back, my geared roadie has been gathering dust since.

It’s hard to explain exactly why but in two words and one symbol:

fixed = fun

Other reasons could be simplicity, maintenance, cost, look at me I’m different, training, retro-grouchieness, hipsterism…

Fixed-Gear sux and single speed is for fairies, Carbon roadie and Hybrids is where it’s at!

With or without flat bar, suspension seatpost and “comfort” saddle?

That’s a difficult one to answer. Different people ride fixed for different reasons. You’ll just have to try it and see how riding fixed fits into your cycling life.

I first got into fixed because I was first into SS MTBs. I liked the simplicity of no gears and it was the simple progression to go into fixed riding.

Over time, I’ve learned to love the over aspects of fixie riding:

Low maintainance
Better control over the bike
Asthetics of the simple fixie bicycle
It’s more fun to ride

And the list goes on and on and on …

Try it for yourself. You can only understand after you’ve tried it.

Des

I got into fixed because Des told me to.

Then a year later I tried SS.

Are you sure that’s Des and not just the voices in your head telling you to burn things?

Think Sheldon Brown covers most peoples resons here…

Try for yourself and see what you think.

I started out many years ago (aged about 10) on my fathers fixed road bike, and grew to love it… He had ridden fixed in Time trials on the road in the 60’s in england and he loved it. He still rides it several times a week now (In hilly Devon, England)…

MikeyD

I’m on a 58 Road Frame.

I think Carbon Fibre frames are a wank.

$10,000 bikes are nice but pointless.

I live off wynnum road and I love mashing alone that road in the mornings and afternoons.

I need a better gear inch??? I want more top speed…

Make your legs go round faster

revs = speed

or

get a fixie

and do both

Can you ride a 60?

I ride 42x16, seems to work well for Brisbane, top out at 60 km/hr

I also live off Wynnum Rd (Norman Park), as does Rhino (wanky Bulimba)

Alot of people live around there.

Keen to try fix, there is a come and try track day at Chanlder Velodrome this Satruday.

get onto www.roadgrime.com to see the details.

No you didn’t. I remember the first day you saw my fixie. Your eyes were lighting up like a hawk hunting it’s prey. The idea of riding fixed was already imprinted in your head. I just helped it along. Who would have thought, months down the track, you would actually own that bike and start the first Carlton Sat morning fixie ride. Ah, the memories …

For you … it was a calling.

Des

No you didn’t. I remember the first day you saw my fixie. Your eyes were lighting up like a hawk hunting it’s prey. The idea of riding fixed was already imprinted in your head. I just helped it along. Who would have thought, months down the track, you would actually own that bike and start the first Carlton Sat morning fixie ride. Ah, the memories …

Des[/quote]

Jeez…

Thats all beautiful and mushy.

Wait while I wipe the tear of sentimentality from my eye… :wink:

Des[/quote]

Get a room!!!

Nothin’ wrong with alittle bike lovin’ Craig.

Des