Your stem is too short

Could selecting a slightly smaller frame and running a longer stem and seat post be a weight related selection? The frame would be smaller so saving weight there, not sure if it would be negligible or an actual saving though…? Just a thought

Quite a few pro teams add weight to their bikes to keep it above the legal limit. So I wouldn’t think this is the case

Many theories as to why, weight/strength/stiffness. Could also have something to do with riders wanting to be in a more aero position.
Seems like the most important measurement in bike fit right now (in relation to pros) is HT length. Choose a HT that suits the amount of saddle to bar drop you want then correct any reach issues with a extra long stem. Just an opinion though, I haven’t read anything to support this.

I will give you the reasons I have a long stem, as outlined to my by Paul Parker, bike fit man,

I ride a 54 Scott. If I rode a 56, I would very little seat post showing. I have quite good core strength and flexibility, meaning I can stretch out, and get flat quite easily, for a long time. Paul said this is an advantage that won’t last forever…gettin old and that. So, while you can, you whack an extra long stem on because it makes you aero and, if you can hold that position, why not? It is a bike for racing, not riding to the shops.

That said I can ride my bike with 140mm stem for 5-6 hours with little issues. I probably feel the stretch most on a, say, a Sunday, a day after racing, when I’m a little tight around the lower back. In those days a 130 would be more appropriate. But on the days you are feeling good and relaxed, with no tightness, it’s easily the best position I have ever had.

I’m not a very strong/fast cyclist, but my position is pretty much bang on.

My core strength is shit and I’m not flexible, I have a long stem because I like to imitate the pros/do whatever is cool.

No wonder you have a girlfriend…

jesus.

He can’t help you on FOA mate.

No…but James used to look just a little bit like him.

Jesus.

HMC before he cut his hair.

This interests me.
So basically you could ride either a 56 or a 54, but you choose a 54 because you can get a more aero, race position, right?
How does the looong stem affect handling- do you notice it much? Any other considerations if one is ‘downsizing’?
I’d too ride a 56 and would like to try a smaller size. Go see a bike fit guy right?

ftfy

Give me a shout when the Duarte’s for sale.

i personally find it handles better. Curious, I asked Scott. They said they had designed the Addict with a 130mm stem in mind. And, given the throw of my bars is only 80mm (as opposed to the normal 100) to suit my smaller hands, in terms of length from beginning of stem, to end of hoods, its actually the equivalent of a 120mm stem. So it’s not as outrageous as it seems as first.

Longer stem gives you stabler handling, better descending, etc, etc. It’s good. For me.

Tom Boonen: “You know what they say about a guy with a long stem…sore back”

pffft.

I know I’m feeding the troll, but H, James rides a lot, has ridden basically only road and is a lot younger than you.

You spend a lot of time on a MTB (commuting or recreational riding) and upright, spend a lot more time off the bike (working), are older and thus a similar position is going to be lot harder to manage/sustain.

By all means give it a go, but I’m reasonably sure you will find some issues. But hey, they are making bikes with long head tubes now…

I’ve had to suck it up and buy a frame with a more forgiving geo - gone from 60cm ETT & 17cm HT to 59cm ETT & 20cm HT*. Still got v. good core strength & good flexibility around the hips and lower back etc but my neck and shoulder are showing up some early signs of arthritis and my upper body musculature has changed a bit over the last year or two from SUP training & racing…I can’t sustain the old long, low possie for more than an hour or so without paying for it later. I’d rather be on a non-pro rig than not ride at all.

(*there will be a couple of long, low rigs for taller men on the market very shortly)

I’m the same, I have bulged discs in my neck, I run a 110 stem with a few spacers,
I figure if I get sore I’m useless, so keep my body feeling good and this in turn will generate a higher wattage and make me faster than a low position with less watts and a fucked neck.
When I’m on the front I just hit the drops and lean down a little.

How old is HMC?