18 March - Canberra Solo Bday Crawl

I have a day off tomorrow for my bday and am planning a bit of ‘Liam time’. I have been pretty busy this year with weddings, bucks partys and so many social events and I just need a day to escape and refresh. I was going to do the Centenary Trail but I have done something to my knee at hockey.

So I am thinking of a bit of a cruise around Canberra and just taking in some good food, good coffee and some beers. Here is what I have in mind so far.

• Start off at Red Brick Espresso in Curtin for coffee and b’fast (never been here)
  • Ride into civic and get a coffee at Tonic (never been here)
  • Ride around the lake, maybe take a nap somewhere
  • Fill in time somewhere around here
  • Have lunch somewhere (ideas?)
  • Ride around some of the inner northern suburbs exploring paths I have never been on
  • Wig & Pen for some tasty beers
  • Afternoon coffee at Two Before Ten.

So who has some really good tips for where to go for a good lunch (keep in mind I will probably be on my own and a little sweaty from riding around).

My three faves for lunch are:
$8 Ethiopian curry at Global Ethiopian Cafe on Northbourne
$10 burger and sweet potato fries at The Playground in Garema is great. They do lunchtime cocktails too
Cafe As You Like it (at the Street Theatre, ANU) has good lunches too, including hugely filling pumpkin or spinach bread sandwiches.

Also, I’ve had a muffin at Autolyse on Lonsdale Street, but never had lunch there. The muffin was GREAT

There is a bit that I want to check out around Braddon - so might grab a muffin for snack time.

This day sounds like some fantastic and well deserved “me time”.

I have a feeling I’ll run into you as I’m around civic/some of those places tomorrow. Be prepared for a birthday “Do a skid”,

If you have a nice little novel bring it with you and lie on the grass around the lake at some point and doze/read. One of my fav things to do.

The food/snacks/baked goods/coffee is pretty good at Sweet Bones Cafe in the Lonsdale street traders. It’s my place of choice for a relax as it has outside seating at the back and is usually less busy than LSR.

I don’t really rate Autolyse that much.

Tell the Wig & Pen bartender you want to go “around the world”…

I have never been a fan of LSR - and I have had a couple of terrible coffees at sweet bones. But I like their treats. The wife and I have played a bit of carcassone out the back there, good bit of sun in the afternoon there.

I had a super interesting beer at Wig and Pen the other day. A Thai Green Curry beer… yup.

Holla if you are in the are and have some time for a coffee! I want to hear about your travels!

I’d be in if I lived in Canberra. Have a great Birthday!

Where are you going to be after work hours?

Happy Birthday bro!
Coincidentally, it’s my Nana’s birthday today too.

After work hours - I will probably be heading home. Mrs Ezy has organised something for dinner I think.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NANA BIG ADZ!

Happy Birthday brother !!!
Here’s hoping you get double plus awesomeness for the coming year !!!

It’s an absolutely perfect day for lazy riding and relaxing. I’m supremely jealous. Have a great time out there

Happy birthday. Lucky you.

If you are around mt Ainslie, get up to the maze!

HB Ezy!

I am nothing but belconnen these days, so of absolutely no use :frowning:

But I did go ice skating the other day and thought of you.

Good to catch up with you this morning mate - you looked super stoked to have a day of adventure! Enjoy :slight_smile:

Fucking rad day! Some really good surprises due to the lovely wife - she rang a cafe in town she knew I was going to visit and asked them to sing happy bday to me. They did. It was awkward.

Thanks for the hangs Luke + Aeons! Thanks also for the messages on here, text, instagram etc. Means a lot. This was up there with one of the best bdays I have had.

Basically my instagram feed was an indulgent spam fest today. Whoops!

Breakfast at Red Brick Espresso - probably the best coffee of the day. Highly recommend if in Curtin. Thanks for the company Luke, did you organise those delightful nannas that sat next to us as well? #nannacharmer

Bit of a cruise around the lake - this is my fav section on my commute to work.

A bit of the Nara Japanese gardens

Sweet Bones Café where the staff sang to me and handed over the heaviest loaf of banana bread known to man.

Solo beer

A cool sculpture that I have always wanted to get a pic of.

Finished off the day with some Peruvian street food.

Looks like a great day for a great guy.

Bon anniversaire!

Post-script on the bee sting?

Where are those spirit levels?! so nice!

This is where the spirit level sculptures are JP. They are pretty rad hey!

So the bee incident - I was riding along and obviously had my mouth open, I had that feeling like you do when you swallow a bug - this one felt a little crunchier though and soon after I felt a pretty strong zapping sensation at the back of my throat. I pulled over and quickly spat the bee out. I was out of water so I couldn’t flush the remains of it out - so a lot of spitting and swearing.

20 minutes later I get home and go straight to the tap and try and rinse my mouth out. Get inside and open my mouth in front of the mirror to inspect - right at the back next to the dangle ball bit on your throat I could see the stinger. I got some tweezers and removed it which was pretty easy as that flesh back there is pretty soft.

The rest of the night I felt a bit dizzy and swallowing just felt like what its like when you have a really bad sore throat. It is still a little sore now but is getting better through the day.

Pretty crazy!

I was surveying some Eucalypts for uni there last year and tried to ride my bmx along one of the spirit levels.

Ended up awkwardly falling off in front of my whole class as we were heading back. Felt like a bit of an armhole…