3.5 weeks in tassie!! Your top tips??

what sort of elevation change etc? that’d probably be at the extreme end of the knee capability…?

300/400m maybe

that doesn’t seem too bad actually.

Yeah 400. Carpark is 700m, plateau with the walls is ~1100m. All the climbing is in the first few kms.

Cape Hauy is an epic walk! Highly recommend it!

And shipstern bluff!

Don’t forget to meet some of the unique tassie bogans!! :slight_smile:

I’ll be camping as much as possible, I’m sure it’s inevitable.

Mate, I can certainly help out with places to see, ride routes and some nice short walk suggestions. I’m local (and a PWS Ranger) so I’m pretty qualified to comment on the best of the best.

Bring a road bike, put some 28 or 32c rubber on it. Mt Wellington summit is a great ride out of Hobart. Tinderbox loop has stunning views of the Derwent River.

Cape Hauy is a stellar walk (I was involved in building that track). Other great short walks include Lake Skinner/Snowy South, Hartz Peak, Cathedral Rock.

On the NW Coast, Arthur River is pretty amazing, Sunset Point has Aboriginal petroglyphs on the rocks which will blow your mind. Fun dirt road ride down to Temma.

East Coast, everything is good. Tasman Peninsula rocks. Lime Bay State Reserve has good camping.

So much to see. Feel free to PM. Can sling you my phone number, easier to chat than type. Also if you’re up for a ride in the south, we’ll take you out. Check Bottles and Chains and Hobart Gravel Grinders …posting his question in either group should net you some great suggestions yo!

Like.

thanks bennyboy, that’s fantastic!

will hit you up at some point for sure.

getting excited!!

Good one Rolls!

If you want to borrow hiking poles for your knees just shoot me a PM.

Highly recommend Cradle Mountain, Walls of Jerusalem, and Tasman Peninsula (with bonus good coffee here: Cubed espresso ).

Frenchmans Cap is probably the best walk I’ve done in Tas but it’s a big climb so maybe not quite right for your knee. It’s a two-nighter sleeping in the same hut though (summit ascent in between) so you only don’t need to carry a tent and can just take water and food for the summit run. Can see out to sea (bout 60km away) from the top.

Look into National Park passes too. Tas NPs are quite expensive to park/camp in so if you’re going to be there for longer than a week I expect it will be economical to buy an annual pass.

Just got an email about cheap ($79 each way) day sails should anyone wanna go next year. travel dates are 17 January 2016 - 10 April 2016.

gotta book by nov 21st though.

also, thanks all for all these sweet suggestions! at some point i’ll sit down and mark them all on a map and make a rough plan for the trip, which feels like it is very rapidly approaching!

You can buy it on the spirit when you’ve finished walking around and are bored.

|
|
|per vehicle (up to 8 people) - all parks|$96.00|

|
|
|per vehicle (up to 8 people) - all parks except Cradle
|$24.00|

|
|
|per vehicle (up to 8 people)

• all parks including Cradle
    |$60.00|

just bought one online.

it’s a night sail so hopefully i’ll get some kind of sleep after i’ve stood outside until dark.

+1 for gordon dam, cool drive, biggest double curvature arch dam in aus. If your feeling game, wait till dark and climb down, was one hell of a night when I did it. Acoustics at the base are insanely amazing at 3am, worth the many, many, many ladders :wink:

That dam looks mad.

That’s the word I used in my head too.

I’d agree that it’s a word.

Haha good fun. If your into dams there is also Devils gate up north near Sheffield. Tassie has some really cool hydro infurstructure worth checking out if your interested.