3.5 weeks in tassie!! Your top tips??

3 each? That’s very generous.

Old Van Diemens Land eh? Surely they’d be Hollands eh?

You all wrong.

cool as ice cellular blinds

So, that was a pretty amazing trip.

For those of you not on instagram, you can see the photos here -

#rollystassieadventure hashtag on Instagram • Photos and Videos

Highlights would have to be:

Bruny Island
Maria Island wildlife (the island itself was ok, very dry)
Tasman Peninsula (camped at Fortescue Bay, was awesome)
Mt Field waterfalls
Bay of Fires
Freycinet National Park (hiking up Mt Amos is waaaaaaaaay better than Wineglass Bay lookout, though it’s a fuckload higher and climbs 425m over 1km…)

Any questions, let me know.

Was also really nice to see Blakey and Kate and stay at the Velo Estate Hobart™, as well as celebrate k o’s 30th with aforementioned people and xbbx.

mates are cool. seeing mates on a solo roadtrip is also very cool.

It looked awesome Rolly!
Seeing all the adventures you and about 10 other people I know/follow have had recently has convinced me to go there with the family for Christmas 2016.

I’m heading to Tassie for 12 days in a couple of weeks, any tips for where to go/ not go in winter? Keen for hiking and general adventuring wherever possible.

Also, any recommendations for bike hire, around Hobart? Keen to hire a cx bike to hit some fireroads or alternatively a mountain bike for the trails around mount Wellington.

I’d go to Cyclingo for an MTB hire. South Hobart, on the way to kunanyi, where you can take North South trail to Glenorchy mtb park.

Failing that, try Bike Ride in the city.
http://www.bikeride.com.au/1104

It’s cold, so stick to the coast where it will only be cold and not fucking cold. But if you don’t mind the cold, Mount Field would be excellent to visit, and there are govt huts you can book to save freezing in a tent.
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?sys=News%20Article&intID=2593

For other hikes, check out the TAS subforum at bushwalk.com.au

For fire roads, benny is the one you want to talk to. He might even put on a ride for you!

Hi Fritz,

Mountain bike hire, see Tom Guiver at Cyclingo in South Hobart. He may have a CX bike in his hire fleet. Plenty of places to ride on Wellington, download the Trailforks App and look to hit ‘Slides’, ‘S57’, ‘Upper Luge’ and ‘North South’. The Meehan Range is definitely worth a lap if in Hobart with ‘Corkscrew’ and ‘Cave Hill’ being my two favourite trails over there.

Derby in Northeast Tasmania is the business for mountain biking, a full day there if you have the time. Also in the area (kinda) is the iconic ‘Jacobs Ladder’ gravel ascent of Ben Lomond.

Ooodles of gravel south of Hobart, I’ll take you on a gravel run out of Huonville if you’re keen. Picton, Weld, Tahune. Can put a loop together that’ll blow your gravel mind. What size bike do you ride? Might be able to loan you a bike for the day…

Walking? Cannot miss Cape Hauy on the Tasman Peninsula… nice day walk to some bullshit awesome sea cliffs. What sort of walking are you keen on? Waterfalls? Mountain tops? Vistas? Day walks? So many good ones…

PM me and I’ll flick you my mobile number.

Benny

Thanks for the feedback gents. I’ll shoot you through a PM tomorrow Benny, still trying to work out our movements.

Just booked flights to Hobart for the start of Dark Mofo in June. Three nights there for our tenth wedding anniversary - any tips on accommodation?

Blakey - let’s have coffee!

sure thing!

The riverfront is v close to MONA and usually is decked out for dark mofo.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-tas-mount+nelson-127201554

WCP’s Tassie fairytale almost complete. You buy it, we’ll come visit!

Helol!

Bumping this up because Vee and I are planning on hitting up Tasmania and I thought I would put the feelers out there to gather some up to date info. The main reason for our trip is to complete the Overland Track (this is non negotiable) and then take in a good taste of the state. I will take the time to go over all of the suggestions here, but we will be mixing up camping and a few hotels along the way. A few rambling points below:

• Probably looking at 3 weeks into the start of 2019 at this point or if I can negotiate another time off with work, it could be October/November
  • We will be bringing our car
  • There probably won’t be any riding, if anything it will be a day at Derby with a hire bike
  • I’d like to go to Mona
  • The early suggestions in this thread reminded me that I do like breweries but I don’t want to make them a main quest
  • We would like to head to the southern most point (Cockle Creek?) for the potential of seeing some of the Southern Lights (not sure how common this is?)

cockle creek is meant to be ace (and yet, i never made it there…)

east coast will be busy, so be aware of that when planning campsites & book ahead/arrive early.

3 weeks might feel like a long time, but you still won’t see everything. don’t try to.

you’re gonna fkn love it.

Yeah, given that the Overland will knock one week out of the three weeks…

jealous.

Maria Island for sure. Make sure you book beds in the penitentiary well in advance.

Nick Jaffe’s place down at Eaglehawk Neck is really nice. It’s on AirBNB. He might even have his sauna built by then. It’s a great place to access Fortescue Bay and Cape Hauy etc. Great F&C and coffee around there too.

An overnighter up to Lady Lake Hut is lovely and not too arduous.

I really liked Ben Lomond and staying at Carr Villa there, which is run by the Scouts. You need to contact them to book it. The drive out there was really nice. I’d love to ride out there.

Check out Submerged Images for some inspiration to maybe get underwater in the Bay of Fires

Definitely hire a bike in Derby for at least a day and ride the whole Blue Tier and Atlas.

I really liked Launceston. Book in for dinner at Stillwater. Maybe try for lunch at Josef Chromy, or at least go for a wine tasting. Speaking of wines, Piper’s Brook (Chardonnay) and Tamar Ridge (Pinot Noir) are other good ones around Lonnie (neither family owned, Chromy is). Home Hill (Pinot Noir) and Pooley (Pinot Noir + Chardonnay) are excellent around Hobart (and both family owned).

Just some thoughts of my experiences

Thanks Pete! Main thing at the moment is deciding on a time to go - and then waiting until July 1st for the bookings to open on the Overland Track to make sure we can actually get in on it.

Vee has encouraged me to take my bike, but chucking it on top of the car for one day is more trouble than it is worth.

I will hit up NickJ for sure. His area looks amazing.

I recommend K-Mart in Launceston to see real Tassie bogans in their natural environment.