6 months jail for illegal street crit organisers - Singapore

it’s good to know there’s still places out there where cyclists are treated worse then in Australia.

SINGAPORE - Two men have been arrested by the Traffic Police for their suspected involvement in promoting and organising illegal racing activities along Tanglin Halt Road last month.

Traffic Police said in a statement on Tuesday that it had responded to a call on Nov 29 at about 11.50pm regarding cyclists racing along Tanglin Halt Road.

Subsequent investigations led them to arrest two men, aged 28 and 39, for their suspected involvement in promoting and organising the illegal racing event under Section 116 of the Road Traffic Act, Chapter 276.

If convicted, the two men would be liable to a mandatory jail term of up to six months and a fine of between $1,000 and $2,000. In the case of a second or subsequent conviction, they could be jailed up to 12 months and fined between $2,000 and $3,000. The vehicles used in the illegal race would also be forfeited.

Said Assistant Commissioner of Police Sam Tee, the Traffic Police commander: “Traffic Police takes a serious view against illegal racing on public roads and will not hesitate to enforce against irresponsible racers who partake in such illegal activities and jeopardise other road users with their stunts.”

The Sunday Times first reported on the illegal street cycling race on Sunday. Named HolyCrit, the racing event first began last year and is held once a month on average.

The recent race at Tanglin Halt Road was the eighth time that such event was held and it attracted 32 participants and close to 100 spectators.

Traffic Police said investigations are ongoing to establish the identity of other cyclists who participated in the illegal race.

Organisers of illegal street cycling race arrested - Singapore Courts & Crime News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

i don’t see how this is being badly treated.

bunch of dudes set up race, no insurance, no liability, proceed to ride bikes at night with way too much testosterone, endanger themselves and others, get fined/jailed. what part of this is unfair?

singapore has a strict justice system sure, but i would much rather that then a pack of dickheads on bikes killing someone. don’t say it doesn’t happen, because it does, james gould anyone?
my mum has nearly been hit a dozen times by beach road racers while walking the neighbours dog and crossing at the pedestrian crossing, i’m sorry but i don’t have much time for them and would be pretty fucking happy to see them have the value of their bikes taken from them.

long story short if you ride and it endangers others, as it definitely does in this case, having the law come down on you like a sack of shit is fair and just.

maybe i’m jaded from working with/riding around fuckhead cyclists all the time.

i don’t know the location, so can’t comment on whether it’s a safe venue for 30 guys to do laps or not. i would hope it was a fairly quiet and isolated location (actually, just googled it. https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Tanglin+Halt+Rd,+Singapore/@1.3022299,103.7972383,3a,52.5y,180h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s22PI1ps73aWsDGDH-mUIHw!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x31da1a4706f2c357:0x1a80329defd16a74!6m1!1e1 )
but i assume that something like melburn roobaix doesn’t have insurance, or at least didn’t until the last few years,

-i’m just a bit annoyed today after reading the articles about how vicroads is going to be chasing after the bicycle police on Sydney rd, handing out leaflets to cyclists about safe-riding practice.

You need to spend more time in Singapore before you start commenting about the fairness of it’s justice and police systems.

didn’t comment on the fairness of the system in general, commented on the fairness of the particular punishment.

Quieter than a lot of other places in Singapore, it’s away from downtown/tourists areas and towards the uni near BV. Was probably selected due to the square shaped, more enclosed nature of the road. To be honest no where in SG is probably a safe venue for people to ride their bikes on the street.

The world is becoming one big nanny state.
I’m just loving NZ, oh hey guys we built a bridge over a river any one want to come jump off it? No well may be your more into motorbikes so there’s this farmer with all this land may be go fang around there.
It’s fucking ridiculous

Nailed it bro.

You too Dayne

maybe time to leave the industry. It did wonders for my mental health.

The difference here is the the bridge jumpers and motorcrossers are (for the most part) only endangering themselves, whereas crit racers on open streets are a real danger to others also.
I’m all for letting people take risky behaviours if they want, they just have to not involve others that don’t want to be involved.

^ I don’t know hey imagine in this crazy world if they didn’t have to do it illegally and say for laughs the council allowed it to happen one night a month?
Find me some motorists injured by cyclist cases.

I agree, and I’m sure the council and police agree, but that’s not what the organisers chose to do.

This in a country where such menaces to public safety as fellatio and being naked near an open window aren’t legal. They’ll probably be lucky if they only get 6 months.

IIRC chewing gum is banned. And when I stopped over at the airport, The guards had MP5 Submachine guns. They don’t F#$k around!

Found out the hard way?

Hahaha. Hard way.

stiff penalty?

Legal system is Arse about

NZ has a very grown-up set of laws around limitation of liability for personal injury…means innovators/entrepreneurs/loonies can invent cool/fun/dangerous stuff for other loonies to do…and let those loonies try it on their own recognizance, without fear of being sued up the wazoo. We have much to learn from our cousins across the ditch.