Albury to Melbourne Singlespeed Route

Planning to ride from Albury to Melbourne next week and just checking if anyone’s ridden that way and has any road ideas. Will be on my single speed cross bike so flatish dirt roads are ideal but I only have 2 days so probably won’t have the time to head into the mountains.

Thinking out loud:

Albury -> Yackandandah -> Myrtleford -> out past Lake Buffalo to Dandongadale, turning right at Rose River Rd -> Whitfield -> Mansfield -> Rail trail to Tallarook -> flat lands to Melbs, or train.

Rose River Rd has a bit of climbing, but it’s pretty steady from memory, and gravel and pretty. Whitfield to Mansfield is a big old climb, then a bit rolly and then a sweet descent, but it gets you to the Rail Trail. If it was me trying to ride to Melbs in 2 days, I’d just catch the train. But I’m soft.

I was thinking Rose River Rd and up over the gap to Mansfield but might wait til I get gears (which should be very soon). Cheers Pete

I reckon Rose River Rd SS would be OK. Climbing out of Whitfield would have you walking, but then you’d mostly be fine.

Definitely less steep coming in from the lake side. Still could be tough going depending on your gear ratio… I rode up the opposite side with a low gear of 34 *26 on the CX bike and found it a grind!

Can I add that there are extremely good pies in Yackandandah (and what a crazily excellent name, too)

Yeah it’s pretty steep eh! Good descent though…

Looks like I’ll have to can this for now cos moving to Canberra and need the time to pack and organise things. Sorta dissapointed but gears will make it a bit easier. And then I might have some more time and can ride from Myrtleford/Bright through to Dargo which would be cool