Almost Pro Bike Mechanic

I spent weeks trying to find a creak in the what I thought was the front of my Bridgestone. Only happened when I was out of the saddle monstering in the drops. Knocked out the headset, re-fitted, repacked the hubs, regreased/fitted stem & bars. Still no avail…

Packing my bike up to move, realise 1 chainring bolt missing and 2 were loose. doh.

Swapped tyres from SSCX to FGFS. Unseated 4 tyres, reseated on alternate wheelset. Ripped hole in finger on knobby cx tyres.

Put wheel in frame… big tyres not giving any love with the frame clearance.

8 tyre changes later and I still don’t have proper cx tyres for supercross…

lucky they didn’t break when you were monstering in the drops!!!

ah man, been there. the worst.

Dropped my chain on the way home tonight, right out front of St Cloud. They didn’t even come out to help. :frowning:

I hit the deck a few weeks back thanks to a car deciding to cut me off while I was still getting used to my cleats, how many commuters and pedestrians checked on my well being? None.

Nothing like trying to find the location of a creak with it ricocheting around the frame. Trying to find a creak I tightened cranks again and again until the NDS bolt snapped. Rode it like that everyday for 2 weeks with no probs until the crank came off with my foot still clipped in. Managed to get the snapped bolt shank out of the spindle with a hammer and punch and bought a new bolt.

I saw what seemed to be the result of a car & bike sharing the same space, with one guy on the deck around Yarra Blvd tonight. There were half a dozen people already stopped and my only assistance capability is a phone so I didn’t stop.

And just prior to that I called out to CazTheTurtle and she snubbed me.

was kent in his ‘office’?

might have been too busy not judging others based on the type of bike the ride

or checking out some sweet llewellyn lugs somewhere

My K-Pad has developed a rattle in the back…somewhere, but I can’t figure out what it is and I can’t replicate it in a stationary position. It started after I took the rear wheel out to change the tyre. At first I thought it was a loose spoke, but they all seem solid. Maybe I put the chain on the ‘wrong’ sprocket teeth? The sprocket and chain are fairly old, perhaps they were well worn in to each other. However, the noise sounds more like something is loose rather than a grind.

You didn’t put that little nut on the valve stem did you? If so, check that.

^ Nah, it’s one of those threadless jobs.

Take your keys out of your back pocket.

I’d also check the valve stem itself. I’ve had one rattle in the past, when previous other valve stems didn’t.

^ Will do.

Are carabiners still cool?

It’s all about these now

Trading parts and then building bike at the pub.

New frame arrived today. Had everything ready to go. Have had CK headset sitting in my room for the past 3 months. Ordered 1 1/8. Go to press headset in. Realise I’ve been sent 1". Swearing ensued. New bike day on hold for another week or so.

It’s an interesting point though… with bikes getting more an more techincal, there is almost justification for some sort of certification.

This is for Bigadz.

Goes to install new threaded headset, crown race is wrong size.
Then attempts to swap quill stems but has 26mm bars and a 25.4 clamp stem.

Then while disappointedly reassembling his bike he somehow puts his fork on upside down and starts threading the headset on until I point out his handlebars will be where his front wheel is supposed to be and vice-versa.