Any car enthusiasts around?

My BMW 2002 in this thread: http://fixed.org.au/forums/index.php/topic,10793.0.html is gradually getting closer to completion. Engine, gearbox and subframe need assembly, and then I can rebuild the rear end of the car, which should be much quicker. I just want the damn thing on the road!

As a lover and enthusiast of many old cars all I can advise you is to familiarize yourself with the make/marque of car you are interested in by joining a club or reading up on some of the many car forums and take your time in buying one that is already sorted and that somebody has already spent the time and money on.

It’s the cheapest option by far.

Cars are a serious money pit.

Ain’t that the truth.

Fortunately I’ve got it out of my system. Well not really, but bikes are a lot cheaper.

Many years ago in an age before digital cameras, I used to own this…

I still miss driving it from time to time but I’ve never missed owning it.

wow … that’s a not very seen colour for a W108 Benz. And not one but two of them together :-o

I regret selling a W111 250se coupe long ago but I had nowhere to keep it (living by the beach) and nowhere near the $'s to maintain it and keep it running as it needed (interior was shot, usual rust). I still admire any Benz from that era. Beautiful cars :sunglasses:

on a different flavour >> Auto Italia is on this weekend in Canberra … they even have a few bikes :wink: Here’s a few of my faves from last year

Mine was repainted before I bought it in allegedly a Ford colour. The other one in the pic is a fresh respray in the original colour. Mine’s slightly darker but it’s very hard to pick in photos. Mine’s a 1967 250SE and the other one’s a 1971 280SE.

Only a real Benz anorak would notice that the grill, lights and steering wheel are different, amongst other things.

I used to get a kick out of using the little foot pedal to flick the wipers on and telling people it had rain sensing automatic wipers - not bad for a 1967 car :slight_smile: But they were genuinely very advanced for their time.

I’ll never forget taking a W109 6.3 for a spin - you could almost see the fuel gauge dropping as you drove along.

Agree. I like seeing old videos and footage of MB testing them :sunglasses:

^^^^^^^^^
awesome

In keeping with the theme here’s my oil burner.

Valiant VG Regal hardtop, running std. 245 auto with a 4 barrel edelbrock.

Also Jr Dacks I think we may live rather close by, have walked past your beetle a few times, very nice stance on it. Out of interest how much much are you looking for?

Another project is definitely what I need :stuck_out_tongue:

Jeremy

Thanks for the responses everyone. I’ve decided to go with my head instead of my heart with this one. I don’t really need something that may end up consuming my spare cash.

You just gotta play your cards right and you wont lose cash.

Ive owned close to 30 cars now and for the last 15 of them i have made money on them,
Check carsales, trading post, eBay, forums etc. and see what they are selling for, sometimes its good to buy one that needs a little love.
For most older collectable cars there are usually enough parts goin around to get them into shape for not much coin and if you can get a RWC then you have a bit of selling power to make a tidy profit and you can have a bit of fun along the way swinging spanners and getting your hands dirty.
Even if you dont make a profit and break even its still good fun and its money you didn’t piss up against the wall at a shitty pub.
The only time i lose money on cars is if i get a regency defect (Adelaide) or crash it, but then again if its a desirable car you can make even more cash parting them out.

Amen to that. Of the 4 or so cars i’ve ended up wrecking, they have ended up paying for themselves. I buy them for the engine, gearbox, wagon specific parts, etc, and then sell off the other bits I don’t want, or I already have in the shed.

I still have 6 sets of wheels lying around for a rainy day when I need some quick $, and there’s always buyers for guards, front and rear lights…the bits that get destroyed in crashes.