Bamboo Bike Frame Group Build

im deffs in now. found a couple of old frames this weekend. only one had a fork, looks to be an old MTB or 26" roadbike of sorts but it will make a nice s/s. got the biggest bottom bracket ive ever seen. just got to strip all the shit off it. although i dont have a bottom braket tool to pull that out.

see you all wednesday.

i’ll bring my crank puller on wed

what do we need for tomorrow mate? aside from beers?

cash? the frame we are gonna use?

bring the frame, save the cash for materials when they show up, might want to bring cash for artifactory tool use/membership. mainly we’ll just be going over designs and hopefully getting the 2 meter wide plotter working so we can have a solid print to work off of.

how’d it all go boys ?

went over design and materials to gather. still open for others to join up

Fork Trail Calc for those who need it.

Low weight lacing method for joining tubes, Czerwinski Laced Joints

sweet, will check it out.

spirito posted this on a build thread, but it has a good section on sizing with some easier non-trig formulas for design
http://icelord.net/bike/paterek.pdf

I really want to do this but lack a frame and the knowledge of “fork trail” etc etc

I know jack shot about that stuff too. All you need is the head tube and fork. All other bits can be bought! My stuff is kerbside.

There is hard rubbish in lathlain an Vic park this weekend knock yourself out!

Wemberly too i’m pretty sure :smiley:

the paterak manual has a good section on frame design, right now you only need to figure out your measurements for your main triangle if you want to jump in.
as HLC said, main things you need are fork, headset, and headtube.
design something up in illustrator/cad/whatever at 1:1 scale. In october when the materials arrive, we’ll print off the plans and get to work.

I got a few frames for the junker too if you need one

here is another guys work log on his bamboo frame

Bamboo frame Worklog [MADE IN BRASIL]

he uses fibreglass though and its quite different…

doesnt look as good though haha

i havent read through the whole thing yet, but there might be some ideas for our build

With the frames, shall we grind off the bb and headtube? or if its soldered on… hit it with a blow torch? Just want to save space and not have frames laying around, sucks having an apartment!

Grind, hack saw, cut. Whatever works.
Would be best to hit it with a wire brush first to remove the paint, but you just need to leave like 5cm or so of the tubes sticking out of the joints. Leave them long b/c we’ll end up mitering them down to fit into the bamboo. Don’t bother trying to debraze the frames, just get them down to what we can use.

If anyone was thinking of doing a mtn bike heres a cheap frame and fork to cut up for lugs
Giant Yukon XL

like so

how not to do itit

how not to do itit

That bike is so shitty that it hurts to look at it. I can’t believe the seller has the balls to ask people to pay money for it. I’m sure that whatever you guys build will be heaps better.

I’ve only just found this thread. What a truly excellent idea!
Family and work commitments mean I can’t join in - but I really wish that I could.
I’m looking forward to seeing what you guys build.

I’m also really glad that I’ve now found out about the Perth Artifactory (start [The Perth Artifactory] ) from this thread.

Alvern, you should be very proud:-

new handmade bike frames;

new works of art (that’s what handmade bike frames are - functional works of art);

people learning to build new things, with new materials and new techniques; and

people also building new connections and community by sharing projects.

Well done that man.