Best way to ride in/out of Melbourne CBD

1. i also don’t see why ppl are going up Eliz, just to turn into Peel. what’s wrong with going up Queensbury or Vic Pde??
  2. agreed, and most ppl know not to travel parallel to cars when riding. yes they shouldn’t be in the bike lane at all, but cars are unwieldy, so surely that could be forgiven when turning, on straight roads however…

Yeah, if you’re not use to it. I suggest you avoid it at all costs.

Cheers dude. I only ever ride exclusively on bike paths anyway, so I’ll be safe.

Dunno if you’re joking but some of the most scary cycling moments have occurred on bike paths!

jokes.
I am very experienced on the ins and outs of the roundabout of death both pre and post traffic lights.
I still avoid it if I can.

We would all feel a lot safer if you would just stay home, Dan.

I am. Just got a wind trainer so I don’t even need to face the ‘outdoors’

I’d suggest thats an indicator of the age differences between you both. You are old enough to be wiser about the impacts of your choices. But hey, thats just another old guy typing…

FWIW: my partner strongly prefers the pink line as it presents a lot less risk than trying to make cars yield to you when they make last minute decisions. yes, there is that conflict when cars go eliz st->peel st but thats a smaller frequency than cars going eliz st -> flemington rd and getting all confused about what they are doing. once you clear the southbound peel st lane you can easily get to the bike box of the northbound peel st lane and you are ready to head up royal pde. its a bit like doing a hook turn, but it keeps you more shielded from cars IMO.

has anyone else noticed a rise in cars still driving through the intersection on a red and crossing in front of the northbound peel st lane after it has gone green lately?

ive noticed it a few times in the past week… given i like to get in front/visible to cars that like to cut the corner onto royal any last minute vehicles left on the intersection can get your heart racing a little (especially if you can see them due to the trucks beside you).

Yes indeed. And not just the usual slightly late, but about five seconds late! I think because drivers have a fear about getting caught in the middle of the roundabout, so they just drive through anyway.

has been like that for the last month i reckon, yeah. there’s also those that stop on the peel->flem tram tracks because they look up as they take the corner, see the red light, decide they best stop…

i think this occurs because you aren’t supposed to stop in a roundabout. when they go through the light at eliz, they think “i must get out of this roundabout”, so keep going, ignoring the signals at the exit to flem. (not very coherent, but i hope you understand)

as per ^^

i am so fucking glad i no longer have to go through that clusterfuck everyday.

Perfect way to describe it Rolly!

Through nth melbs via macaulay rd, queens berry/kings or spencer? Always a good way to go when I was living on racecourse rd.

Just a question about Swanston St- does anyone know when the section between Latrobe and Franklin St is going to be opened? Thanks. This is the last section to be finished isn’t it?

Is google blocked at your work? 30 seconds of searching: Redevelopment FAQs - City of Melbourne

add 6 months to those dates.