Beyond metric

“The $15.8 billion North East Link will cut through native vegetation spanning 52 hectares and remove open space and recreational areas the size of nine MCGs.” - The Age

I wonder which bit of the vegetation is the equivalent of where Tom Boyd unleashed from the centre square in 2016 gf.

Never forget.

“Pedestrians, cyclists to get extra ‘20 Bourke St Malls’ of space in CBD”

Sounds like a lot

What’s the bourke St mall to MCG conversion rate?

20 Burke Streets is probably less than half an MCG which is why they didn’t use it

Hmm, I think MCG can work as a measure of numbers of people (ie “there were so many people at my kid’s birthday, at least 3 MCG’s full”) or volume (ie “man, those kids made a mess, there was enough rubbish to fill the MCG twice over”). But I’m not sure it’s commonly used to measure area.

You might be confusing MCG with football fields - to be fair, an easy mistake. I reckon Bourke St mall is a bit over 2 football fields.

I’m gonna need this converted to blue whales or toyota corollas.

Nah football fields are too small to give journalists the impact they are looking for. At best a football field is a subunit of an MCG.

[quote]
The $15.8 billion North East Link will cut through native vegetation spanning 52 hectares and remove open space and recreational areas the size of nine MCGs.”[/quote] - The Age

Is the distance a footy travels over the Yarra a unit of measurement?

The standard distance is the Drop Punt but to clear the Yarra is about 1.5 drop punts.
The sub unit is the “stone’s throw”.

But what about the afl players who can drop punt over the Yarra?

My commuting bike will complete a circumference of the earth by the end of the week 40,075km.

Sounds a long way but light can travel that far in 0.13 seconds

Scientists have changed the way the kilogram is defined.

Currently, it is defined by the weight of a platinum-based ingot called “Le Grand K” which is locked away in a safe in Paris.

On Friday, researchers meeting in Versailles voted to get rid of it in favour of defining a kilogram in terms of an electric current.

Weight weenies will be rushing out to buy their new die kleine h scales.

Wait so how many squash courts to a kilogram now??

We eat a ‘credit card’ size worth of plastic each week

A credit card sure sounds a lot worse than a library card or a Medicare card

So when my card expires I can just shit a new one out?

How much of this credit card is ingested through the nose?