Beyond metric

That’s 22 Sydney Harbours. Based on what was returned when searching “New York City size” and “Sydney Harbour size” respectively. Not sure which makes more sense in this instance though…

NSW fires are now being measured in terms of Hawaiian islands:

In real-world terms, you could fit most of the 137 islands which make up the Hawaiian archipelago into the area affected by the NSW fires.

How hot are those oceans? I still have no idea.

CNN:
“The world’s oceans are now heating at the same rate as if five Hiroshima atomic bombs were dropped into the water every second, scientists have said”

Guardian:
“The amount of heat being added to the oceans is equivalent to every person on the planet running 100 microwave ovens all day and all night.”

1 Like

The oceans are heating at the rate of 14 million people holding up a cigarette lighter at an AC/DC concert.

2 Likes

big missed opportunity. How long until the ocean is perfect bath temp?

Bushfires have raged in Australia since September, claiming the lives of 28 people, destroying more than 2,500 homes and wiping out bush and farmland the size of Bulgaria.

Finally, something I can relate to.

I also heard Belgium a while ago, but I just found out Bulgaria is 4 times bigger, so that’s not good.

Bulgarian beer isn’t much chop, either.

The IndyCar aeroscreen can also withstand:

• 15,436,000 feathers (x)
  • 270 featherweights (x)
  • 68,000 iPhone 11 Pro Maxs (x)
  • 35,500 mini Babybel original cheese rounds (x)
  • ~21 Dallara IR-12 chassis with Dallara IR-18 road/street course aero kit (x)
  • 147,826 pints of Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream
  • 387 toilets (x)
  • 8,500 copies of a Lord of the Rings book set
  • 1/3 of a Boeing 737-800 (x)
  • 243 Elizabeth Blackstocks
1 Like

Bunnings sausages and dog turds.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8P3ywjgTOeiV5NTJ7Aolbb0fumNe-fDu2TEoE0/?igshid=1auqjkwy7fi52

About as useful as anything else I guess. Wonder what the beaver to wombat conversion is…

http://purelyfacts.com/question/5/which-is-heavier-a-beaver-or-a-wombat?DDA=13&DDB=120

Beavers appear smaller than wombats, but then you add in the tail, so I’d go with a 1:1 beaver to wombat ratio in this regard.

(Eurasian Beavers are bigger than North American Beavers, but I’ve assumed this is an American chart and gone with the North American Beaver)

African swallow vibes ngl

1 Like

this is also important

big fucking parrot, bloody hell

The manager at Aldi was sticking down hazard tape to mark social distancing at the checkout.
They should draw wombats instead.

1 Like

The hits keep coming.
ETmKCVQWoAY-UgU

People laughed when I got a pet Tapir to keep in my pond, but who’s the smart one now?

1 Like

I, for one, am glad they clarified the use of central american tapir instead of those south american ones.

Tapir looks a bit nervous