Books

I have read a few books lately, most haven’t really grabbed me to be honest… but I just started reading a book by an Australian Author, Nick Jaffe… not really well known, but I am only 50 pages in and I am hooked.

3 Likes

FoA discount?

It is worth full RRP - go get it.

2 Likes

should you wish to get it…

can confirm it is so good i read it twice (though maybe i proofread it too) :relaxed:

ALSO… if you do read it, apparently reviews are very important for the mighty Amazon algorithm or some shit, so go review it afterwards

As an aside, buy it from anywhere but Amazon. Fuck Jeff Bezos. Leave reviews there, but buy it anywhere else, preferably a local bookshop.

3 Likes

indeed.

the link to nick’s page has places to buy it yeah? dunno how many local bookshops have it, but yeah, amazon ain’t great, and you can leave reviews without purchasing through amazon.

Either buy this one:

Or get it however you like and become an FOA subscriber!

I’m not 100%, but isn’t it self published, so the ability to get it distributed to your LBS (local book store) is very limited?

2 Likes

Yeah - i got mine from Nicks site.

I kept reading it last night, 120 pages in now.

Technically bookshops can order it in, it is internationally distributed via the ISBN 9780646817842 - but, put it this way, if you buy it via a distributor, I can afford Homebrand spiral pasta for dinner - if bought via my site, I can afford Homebrand pasta, sauce, AND a little cheese.

Oh good. Enjoy your cheese then.

2 Likes

I did, thank you <3

I see Cherbourg got a mention in the book - I spent some time there a while back. Anyway, I have a heap of questions so far about it all, but I won’t bombard you. Obviously I am not a big reader so this is the first book where I have known the author which I feel has drawn me in a little more - regardless, I still think I would be hooked. It is a great, entertaining read. I haven’t finished it yet, but I am guessing that you made it home
:wink:

Nope… Ghost in the machine.

how does that work Nick? who fulfills the print / POD to eventually get a carton to the store?

Lightning Source do it with global POD / distribution which bookshops have access to, as part of their book supply chain.

So you’re telling me it’s not done on a linotype at https://mmop.org.au/

Ohhh, no, the special Ultra™ Premium Edition is on linotype, bound in leather. It is $2000 a copy.

love it! Marbled endpapers natch.

More cheese on its way!

2 Likes

In books not written by FOA founders, I’ve been all over the shop in the last few months, but need to veer away from the non fiction a bit more for a bit;

Close to the Machine & Life in Code by Ellen Ullman were excellent, and The Bug was pretty good also. If you’ve read Flames, definitely look up The Rain Heron