Brompton

*death fold

fixed.org.au; where neither drivetrains or frames are at all fixed

The last config of my Brompton was as a fixed gear.

FGFF

Fixed Gear Folders with Fenders

And dynamos. You monster.

ftfhm

And so conclude the culture wars.

Cannondale Hooligan, all of the weird handling, with none of the practical folding.
I still love mine.

I had a borrowed Brompton for a while and it was pretty great fun. Like plenty of others, I don’t need one but wish I did. The guy who loaned me his had toured around Europe on it. He’d strap a decent sized hiking pack to the back and had an Ortlieb thing on the front to ride, then he’d have the bag on his back and the bike and Ortlieb for when he got on the train or whatever. His was 6sp, which I didn’t like that much. I reckon Blakey’s on the money with the S2L being the duck’s knees. I’d also buy a Tikit if one came up.

Ok guys, I am getting closer to actually buying one so tell me, what gears? I live in Sydney but that may change. I have a couple of hills on my commute but that commute can change at any time. The 6 speed to be prepared for everything or is the 3 speed enough? Or even the 2 speed. Really dont know.
And I am pretty sure I’ll go for the S bars. Will need to ride one first to be 100% though.

If you want to try before you buy, a friend of mine has a dahon w/ 8 speed nexus hub that he rarely uses.

I’d personally like an S2L. I’d want it geared pretty much as a SS and with the 2nd gear as a lower gear to bail out to. I think that’d be a good compromise between flexibility and simplicity.

I’ve had a long term loan of a 6sp one and it was still fun, but the gears were a bit weird, being 2x 3 with overlaps. The guy I borrowed it from had toured with it with a full load though in the mountains. I don’t really like the feel of the 3sp hubs either.

You know there are weird mods and adaptations you can make to fit Alfine/Nexus hubs and stuff, even Rohloffs, but to me this defeats the purpose of the bike I reckon.

ive been eyeing this off as a cornershop/kiddy ride

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/subiaco/men-s-bicycles/vintage-dahon-classic-3/1170834048