Bumbag / fanny pack / belt bag

not racing, more thinking about future proofing. ie i like not having a backpack and may want to use it in warmer weather where i lll need more water.

a bottle in the cage and one in the pack (bontrager) is definitely enough though

im pretty torn, i feel like both options would be viable.

need to see the rapid pack in person.

Yeah like Rolo said I do a couple of these bad bois. Got a new one in development thatā€™ll have two removable side bottle pockets too. Theyā€™re probably gonna be up for a pre-release sale tonight (to ship late next week). Not the largest internal capacity (about 2L), but lots of saddle clearance and spots to clip things on. If there are other features you want, hit me up and they may make it into the final release, too!

Mods hit me up if you donā€™t want me spruicking my own stuff xoxo

hazza! your creating some rad stuff mate :smiley: kudos!

Afer inspecting the bontrager in person i ended up with that. It ticks the boxes for me.

cheers FOA

Its only been one ride but I reckon im converted.

Super nice not having anything on the back while riding, especially when it starts to get rough while descending.

Sure enough the one bottle was all I needed, maybe used 2/3s of it, there were a few times I was reaching for a mouth piece, but I just delayed it a little and planned a few drink stops on my route instead

The only other thing I noticed is when pedalling up, there was noticeable movement but I think thatā€™s more because I have it low on my hips.

All in all, pretty stoked.

Cheers @lambchop!

1 Like

I love a happy fanny pack story.

Fixed that for you.

20 char.

Pretty good arenā€™t theyā€¦

Like I said up there ^ I donā€™t think Iā€™ll ride with a pack again unless itā€™s absolutely necessary.

I noticed mine sort of moving about as well initially and just put it down to having something foreign bouncing about on my hips, now I have it cinched up pretty tight up around the waist (above the hips) and I donā€™t even notice it any more.

One thing to take care with is to make sure you replace the cap tightly on the bottle after a drink, because when you hit a rock garden and donā€™t really want to/canā€™t stop, the feeling of water splashing over your lower back makes for an uncomfortable balance of the ride.

And right on queue a review of 10 different models appears.

ha!

i do still like the dakine/evoc, id probs keep my eyes peeled and try and grab one for cheap when/if they go on sale.

Updated review of even more fanny packs

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/the-best-mtb-hip-pack/

have a had a couple of runs with the camelbak repack LR4 i got recently, ill put a review up at some stage

Been looking at the Dakine 2l hot laps as a short ride backpack alternative. But I have a bottle cage, and recently Iā€™ve just taped the other shit to my frame (and put keys, wallet, snack in my pocket). Still undecided on whether a small pack is worth it, or get small framebag to throw stuff into instead?

Longer rides will always use a backpack. But wouldnā€™t mind something with basic tools I can swap easily between bikes. Can leave some bike (size) specific stuff strapped to each frame (like tube, quick link, etc) but have levers, multitool, patch kit, emergency gu, maybe a bandage, in one place. Thereā€™s probably even a place for an insert with this stuff that can easily move between the ā€˜hip packā€™ and the backpack.

@jaseyjase you had the 5l dakine? Does it move around at all on rougher rides?

i have the 2l dakine in sick camo and it does move a bit in the air and if iā€™m getting wild but iā€™m not cinching it super tight so itā€™s probably user error :woman_shrugging:

Cool. Thx. Are you carrying much in it Zach? Is the bottle holder a gimmick or ok for a second bottle?

if iā€™m doin 25km+ i usually bring a second bottle in the holder (18oz purist), it stays in there good, def not a gimmick

i got my phone, master link pliers, 650b (2.4) tube, clif bar and car keys.

multitool and pump is on the frame (oneup stuff)

best setup iā€™ve had on an mtb full stop

1 Like

@Cafe_de_Keirin

Nah, not the dakine. Iā€™ve got the Bontrager Rapid and recently the Camelbak Repack LR4.

Iā€™m stocking these ā€˜sticky podā€™
https://www.miles-wide.com.au/ (scroll down)
The mini seems to sell best but ā€˜smallā€™ is best size for modern phones.
The large is too big for jerseys. More like something to throw in your backpack or panniers.

I have the small Sticky Pod. Great size, fits my G6 phone, couple of cards, and house keys. Can squeeze in a 700x25 tube if really packing it.

is that your store? that fork cork would be handy!

Yeah thatā€™s me. Although that site is just a landing page with links to my actual business site.
Fork cork sells well, speaking of storage options.

Ended up buying the dakine 2l (mtbdirect had a dakine sale). Also got the ā€˜hot laps gripperā€™ to hold tube and tools on frame.
First ride last weekend, took extra bottle on the bag as well. With the full bottle the belt is quite heavy on the hips/waist, but cinching it up a little tighter on rocky descents meant I didnā€™t feel it moving around too much. And was easy to loosen for more comfort on in-between firetrails/road sections.