Camp stove cooking

the man is never pleased, he is internalising the internet, soon he will be skynet.

Looking forward to joining this conversation when I’m not working…

Righto!

So, rice is usually my staple. Usually basmati. I met a dude walking from Canada to Mexico once with bugger all weight, and he said that he lived mainly on rice and nuts and dried fruit. I’ve played with this idea and it works well, being simple, quickish and pretty nutritious. I try and rince the rice if there’s plenty of water, then measure it out with some water and bring it to the boil, then I stick it in a cozy I made out of one of those foil things you put in your windscreen to try and keep your car cool, following these instructions (down the bottom of that page). Wait at least 10mins. Waiting longer is fine, maybe to setup camp or cook something else up. Ooops, forgot, I often chuck some magic peas in with the rice (those dried ones).

Then I add stuff. To keep it easy, I just chuck in some cashews, chilli flakes and a bit of tamari soy sauce. To complicate things I cook up some dahl or beans or whatever in another little pan. I have one of those Nalgene flexible jars that I put some lentils in in the morning so they cook up more quickly in the evening. Having a woodburning stove - or just cooking on a fire - is good for this because fuel is not so much of a problem and you can take your time. Conserving gas can restrict your options.

Tomatoes, onions, sweet potato, garlic, ginger, avocadoes are all fresh things that last well, they just need a little bit of protection. Cheese is good too. My favourite thing to carry though is eggs. You stick a couple of fried eggs on the rice and cashews and it really rounds it out. One of my favourite Japanese dishes is Tamagodon (egg rice bowl). Basically, you heat up a bit of stock (don’t let it boil), add some onions and whatever, then chuck in a couple of eggs (mixed, not beaten; when I’m camping I mix them in the pan). It makes a little bit of an ommelette with a bit of a kind of gravy. The Japanese dish uses a dashi kinda mix for the stock, but you can use any kind of stock, even soup mix or miso or just salt and pepper if it’s all you’ve got.

This is all usually accompanied by a cup of red wine, stored in my PlatyPreserve. This thing is great. I use it at home too.

That’s pretty much what I do anyway. It’s always changing.

Also meant to mention; you know, you’ve had a tough day, it’s getting dark slash is dark, you’re completely knackered and don’t really have an appetite and you just want to go to bed.

Don’t do it. Eat something. Anything. Cook up or not. Eat muesli bars, fruit cake, chips if you have to, nuts and a tomato, just get something in your belly. Obviously, the more nutritious the better. You’ll probably feel better immediately and you’ll probably sleep better and you’ll certainly wake up feeling better and ride better the next day.