Central Coast road rides

Hey all you coasters, I’ll be up your way for a few weeks over Xmas and am hoping to log a few miles while I’m there.

I’ll be based in East Gosford and aiming for 2.5 - 3 hr loops, circa 70km with hopefully 1200-1500 vert.

I’d appreciate any local tips to save wandering around aimlessly…

Thanks in advance!

Skullmtn can probably help you out there.

https://www.strava.com/routes/3775616
Be prepared for central coast bogans and flying projectiles.

Thanks Skully, I threw this one together as a test Central Coast test | 63.1 km Road Cycling Route on Strava

Are there any logical routes that wind through the multitude of national parks?

I’ll map one out when I get home if you like. If you want to go north there’s plenty of loops via the watagans more elevation tho.

I’d be looking at Dog Trap road, Peat’s Ridge, Yarramalong valley, the hills between Gosford and Tuggerah Lakes, Old Pacific HWY to Brooklyn and catching the train back to Woy Woy.

I would not climb up out of Woy Woy, but the descent is a cracker. Same for the main road up to the freeway from Gosford. There are two back roads up the hill that look far better on Google Maps, I am yet to try them though.

and just again Dog Trap road is really fun, but I have only ever ridden down it.

Thanks for the advice guys, I mapped out two routes and gave them a bit of a tonking.

Both start with a few repeats of Kariong Hill, a nice short climb to get the blood flowing. I hit this not long after 5am to avoid as much traffic as possible…

The first route (Central Coast #1 | 57.8 km Road Cycling Route on Strava) took in the climb out of Terrigal past the skillion, and around the back of Avoca. It finished with a few repeats of Kincumber Mountain Reserve. That one had a couple of quite nasty sections i.e. circa 22%…

The second one (Central Coast #2 | 57.0 km Road Cycling Route on Strava) wound through Wattle Tree Road/The Ridgeway/Tumbi Rd - again, beautiful roads with some steeep pinches! This one took in Dog Trap Road, an awesomely quiet and scenic climb.

All in all, there’s a multitude of options up there with no shortage of length/elevation/scenery.

10/10, would ride again.

P.S. the weather was rubbish!

You can do a pretty good/scenic road loop of Empire Bay Drive/The Scenic Drive Around Macmasters/Killcare/Empire bay that has some decent shoulder lanes most of the way too. Or take the cross bike and go through Bouddi National Park as an alternative.

Nice ones, glad you liked Dog Trap, I’m keen to try the Ridgeway one day.