Chainring

does having your cranks on the inside or out make any difference performance wise?

Short answer

No.

I always put my cranks on the outside - stops them fouling on the frame.

Longer answer:

No. So long as your chainline is reasonably straight and the ring clears your chainstay comfortably.

(I’m assuming you’re really asking “does it matter if I mount my single chainring on the inboard side or the outboard side of the spider on dual-ring road crank?”)*

*no apologies for my pedantry, it’s the end of day one of a six-day technical writing workshop and I feel the need to vent

yes thats what i was trying to figure out.

It will affect your chain line, therefore performance. If your chain is straight on one side it wont be on the other equaling a noisy bike that has more resistance.

I would run on which side gave me the straightest drive chain I reckon.

I ran one on the inside on one of my bikes for over a year, and my mates also, and it makes absolutely no difference. The only difference is, some people’s sensibilities are offended. But it’s your bike. As long as your chainline is straight, go for it !

I was told it makes no difference if running a 3/32 chain as their designed to flex however when running a 1/8 track chain it can be an issue as its far more rigid. Though as before stated its all about what suits your chainline, worst case scenario your gear wears a little faster and might be more noisy

do whatever looks better

i thought worst case scenario would be that the chain jumps clean off while you’re doing an emergency stop, sending you into the path of an oncoming fire truck.

put it on whichever side gives you a straight chain line.

or whichever looks best.

sounds good!

it’ll look great embedded in the front of a fire truck

heavymetal: i thought worst case scenario would be that the chain jumps clean off while you’re doing an emergency stop, sending you into the path of an oncoming fire truck.

I stand corrected :expressionless: