Chandler Omnium Proposal

OK so as discussed between “us” here and there it’d be nice if there were more actual race events to take part in at Chandler, especially over the winter as everything seems to take place in Summer. The up and coming team event as discussed by “us” is not appealing, un-inclusive, elitist and generally balls!

Scotty suggested an Omnium event, and for many reasons, I recon, it’s a bloody great idea.

The official layout is quoted below but due to cycling industry workers, #dadlyf and all sorts of other stuff a full week end of racing is pretty unrealistic for most of us. I would like to suggest and discuss a half Omnium held over one day/night like many of the existing Summer carnivals. I’m happy to approach my club C’ycd and see if they would be interested in hosting the event. They could offer a Giant Omnium as first prize… cross promotion… blah, blah, blah and I recon theres a good chance we could get other Brisbane industry types like GEAR Shop, BOGEAR and like on board. Ideally because it’s an individual event you won’t need to supply managers, coaches and reserves (which is balls). From memory Billy said Chandler’s maximum number of riders is 35 at any one time so we either limit entries OR run two grades which starts to blow the time out I’d recon?

[b]Suggested Event Layout:

Scratch Race - 10K (or whatever amount of laps adds up to about that)
Elimination Race - 40ish Laps I guess
Time Trial - 1K
Flying Lap - 200M
Points Race - 30K #becauseriverloop[/b]

I’m just throwing this out there and am chasing input :slight_smile: GO…

Effective June 20, 2014,[3] the omnium as defined by the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) consists of the following six events held over 2 days:

-Scratch race

-Individual pursuit
4,000 metres for elite men, 3,000 metres for junior men and elite women, and 2,000 metres for junior women

-Elimination race

-Time trial
1 km men, 500 metres women[4]

-Flying lap (against the clock)

-Points race
40 km for elite men, 25 km for elite women, 25 km for junior men, 20 km for junior women
For the first five events, each winner shall be awarded 40 points, each second place shall be awarded 38 points, each third place shall be awarded 36 points, etc. Riders ranked 21st and below will each be awarded 1 point. In the Points Race, riders shall add to, and lose points from, their points total based on laps gained and lost, and points won in sprints.

The winner of the Omnimum shall be the rider who has obtained the highest total of points.

In the event of a tie in the final ranking, the places in the final sprint of the last event, the Points Race shall break the tie.

A rider must have completed every event in the omnium.

That sounds good man. Be interesting to see the cost involved for insurance and how many entrants needed to sort it out.

I can buy some TT bars!!!

that’s some serious distance, points i’ve participated in were about 45 laps? 30km takes a long time to knock over on the track, especially if theres not 30 participants to draft off

I’ll fly up to boost numbers so scotty can race points

I’d be keen. Would be good to try and make it as much of an “event” as well - get the brew van back out like at the winter series, food vans would be up for it too, especially if you could show them real numbers. Just an idea to make it more appealing to the crowd.

+1 on buying TT bars

I’m keen for any racing, Nights or Sundays would be best for me (and maybe most?)

In the Points Race, riders shall add to, and lose points from, their points total based on laps gained and lost, and points won in sprints.

Am I reading correctly that the points add/subtract from your running total for the previous events? I think that would be really cool especially for the mid pack riders who may have not scored decent points on the other events. Potentially someone could try make a lap or a few sprints to boost up their score or even someone blows out after winning an earlier event and will loose points if they drop off.

I think I lost points having been lapped in a points race before. It sucks balls I thought I’d won $10 :frowning:

Slightly off topic but taking a lap on an outdoor 333m track is so difficult. Obviously it gets done but not very often especially at our level.

Dug - we could get Billy to run one omnium event ‘practice’ per week to mix things up too. A nice long 40 or 50 lapped where you can take some time out if you want, but come back in would be great for intensity training.

Yerp sounds good, I was gonna ask him for input and if he’d nominate to be a commissar for the event

This sounds cool. Im not sure how it all works technically, but im thinking that if numbers are needed to boost funding then a second group for less experienced riders who were keen on this type of event could run a “half omnium event” with 1/2 distance races between the first class races during the day. A smaller prize for winning obviously but it would ensure the track was in use the entire time for which it was hired , and that people coming to watch have something to cheer for all day. Plus! more riders more money to cover costs

Respyche are running a Winter Track league from 20th June, Just saw the flyer. Bit like an omnium in that you get points each event each week to a total at the end of the series.
Might potter along to one or two…D grade of course …
It’s a facebook page so guessing you need an account. it’s track , it’s racing. it’s worth supporting…

Cheers Pinball, recon I’m a get onboard with this. Hey Dan your on one of the flyers!!

Saturday??? UGHHHHHH. fuck.

Scott do you need a note from a responsible adult, to get out ?

There are several things about that event series which I like!

Saturday!
Early afternoon!
Entry on the day!

Should be good. Hope I don’t have to race duglyf lel

Whatever kent you were punching out of the box in the whistle sprints!

Cos I had adolescent gearing lel

My exact thought. I won’t make any because of work. Can’t they factor in the C grade poster boy in the new series?

EDT: Last year’s series was great.

not sure what you’d be able to help me with then :wink: but maybe I’ll get a couple of days off to ride, I know I’ll have to skip the 15th of aug for a wedding