City bike parking $2376.00 per annum

Not sure if this is here yet but here it comes.
City bike parking.

Yours for $2376.00 per year.

http://www.bikepark.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=131&Itemid=135

Yearly Metcard zone 1 and 2 $1808.00 (highest price)
12 x monthly concession $1014.00 (only way to get 12 months concession)

E

I was skeptical, and then I saw this image…

…6 months ago on ride to work day, it was raining so we caught a cab home, haven’t ridden to work since."

48weeks = $2376 = $1518 savings?
Max day rate is $12 x 48 x 5 = $2880

Must be out by 7pm too.

I suppose its a good idea, though idealistic.

We (well the firm I work for) did a feasibility study for the Melbourne City Council to convert one of the many empty buildings they posses in the CBD into cyclists facilities -inorder to appear green, good employers etc. Unfortunately the project couldn’t stack up. Many of those failings seem to be apparent here.

a) its in a pretty remote and possibly dangerous part of the CBD. The walk to your office would probably be longer than the ride - or do they include a met card to tram there? In the MCC case to be practical several of these facilities would need to be dotted around the city/docklands/southbank/carlton.

b) The fair majority (ie 90%) of new Commercial developments within the CBD require bicycle facilities in order to obtain minimum greenstar ratings etc, its also a Melbourne City Council planning requirement. This is alongside the amount of workplaces retro fitting facilities for cyclists. A better solution would be to have secure off street parking and then leave the showering arrangements up to the individual.

c) An Early Bird ticket in the carpark in my building is only $13, plus you’ve got till Midnight to get your car, not 7pm. Carparks themselves are relatively secure, cars may get broken into but not stolen. The bike parking relies on charging for what is essentially a free service. Locking up on the street during business hours is relatively safe. The membership rates for out of hours access is extraordinarily high, considering the people locking up in the city at night predominately aren’t riding in to the city in the morning. Thus with the cost of membership it won’t be competitive enough. In order to be profitable they have had to price themselves out of contention.

d)They mentioned the location near Flinders Street. That is fair enough, but most cycle commutes are into the city from within say a 10km radius. Hardly anyone as a proportion of trips, catch the train with their bikes. The European examples of these facilities work in the opposite direction - people ride to the bike park and then catch the train/tram.

I was probably a bit critical but thats my $0.02. Good luck to them though

Just because you’re not the target market doesn’t mean it won’t work.

I’ve never stepped a foot inside Prada but I hear they do quite well.

It’s next door to DOHERTYS247, so you could add a workout to your commute too :wink:

‘I highly recommend that you get on the bus’

I was thinking on the ride home I was a bit harsh, I do wish them all the best. One thing we found was that this sort of operation would be more suited to the private sector.

To clarify, we were doing an architectural feasibility for the MCC (a public institution). Any resultant Bicycle Parking Facilites, like their Child Care Centres, would need to be available as a priority to the MCC rate payers. Secondly as a policy agenda, we identified the need to disperse these facilities in order to be efficient.

The building we did the feasibility, out of many potential sites, was Melbourne’s first multi level car park, which since cars were a lot smaller in the 1920’s isn’t up to scratch for SUVs.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=russell%20street&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

Unfortunately the cost of renovation and the reliance on retail (bike stores) to underwrite the operation outweighed the benefit. Of course a new build would be more feasible, but the brief was to use MCC owned buildings which otherwise would have no use - and there are a heck of a lot of them too.

Though I suggest checking it out the ramps are extremely tight and steep, perfect fixie video terrain, nothing much bigger than a Toyota Echo can get into more than a few spots.