click click click help!

Hi, how’s it going?

I’m having some bother with a persistent, rhythmic clickclickclick from (I think) the rear wheel of my new wheelset. It’s rhythmic as in it always seems to happen at the same point in the wheel revolution. I have to be sat on the saddle otherwise it makes no noise. It’s not the cranks as I can hear it no matter where the cranks are in their revolution. It’s quiet when I go slow, louder when I go fast. It doesn’t sound like the chain catching on anything, or the bottom bracket creaking. So far I’ve tried a bit of lube between the spoke intersections and it did nothing :frowning: Thought maybe the black spokes were causing them to stick under load.

Anyone got any ideas? :?

Spoke tension?
Something stuck in your tyre?
One of your spoke cards has come loose?
The ghost of Christmas past with a walking stick?

Valve Stem?
Loose material in rim?

Unpeg the footy cards !
Checked the seat post/seat tube?

It’s ok; problem traced to a stray spokey-dokey. Didn’t notice it before because of the 76 spoke cards I had.

In all seriousness…there’s nothing on the tyre, nothing loose in rim and the seat post is snug and tightened. I’ve had a tap around and the closest I can get to reproducing it is friction between the spokes. I’ll have a fiddle with spoke tensions. Driving me to distraction! It’s not loud, just…there

Lube the hell out of your chain! Even if the chain is not the problem, excessive lubing may spill onto other areas and somehow cure your problem. Dry chains can make a rythmic crunching sound, don’t know about clicking however, worth a shot.

Check your seat rails and seat tube clamp.

Read your post again… so it’s only since you put on the new wheelset right?

maybe if all else fails, check the bearings

might be the nut at the bottom of the valve that isn’t tight enough although from recollection it makes a bit more of a rattle.

my rear wheel started clicking and it was a loose spoke.

if it’s where two spokes cross, it might just be a matter of it bedding in.

yeah it’s a brand new wheelset so wouldn’t think bearings are at fault…

I’m going to grease the seat tube clamp bolt some more… failing that I’ll just see if it goes away; might very well be “bedding in” like chomeo suggested

cheers, guys

how is the condition of your rear sprocket? missing any teeth?
I found a broken tooth on my 18t zeus cog last week… didnt make a bad noise tho.

are there any broken eyelets in your rim?

I’d pull apart your rear hub, and punch out your bearings. feel them by hand, they could be the root of your problem. if so, look at the bearing number on the bearing and grab a new set from your local bearing shop.

By doing this you also get to inspect the axle and locknuts for cracks/breaks and learn how your hub fits together for future reference.

> Sime: how is the condition of your rear sprocket? missing any teeth?
> Sime: are there any broken eyelets in your rim?

rear cog almost good as new, but will double-check the rim eyelets, thanks!

re: taking apart hub;
> Sime: By doing this you also get to inspect the axle and locknuts for cracks/breaks and learn how your hub fits together for future reference.

If the noise persists I’ll probably do this!

I’m going to give it a bit more time; wheels have only maybe had a couple of Km on them so I might be worring about nothing.

Cheers

if they are black spokes, that’s probably the problem right there.
they creak and complain at the cross over.
junk the spokes, get nice solid DT swiss spokes, and properly tension them.
properly built wheels with good spokes should last for ages, and won’t tick at you.

i was really hoping you were asking for my help, specifically, there for a minute.