Commute - Crace to Manuka

Hey champs. Seeing as most of you guys are northsiders - I’m in Crace for a few days and need a bit of a heads up on the best way to commute to manuka. I have the sscx bike with me so fire trails and single track are okay. At the moment all I have is heading down the highway onto northbourne and straight down there, that will be terrible - so any tips?

Heaps of options. There’s a bike path along gundaroo to belconnen, which is part of the Centenary Trail. There’s also a bike path through giralang and kaleen to north lyneham. There’s also another bike path along Gunghalin drive past Mitchell to north lyneham. There’s little bits of gravel all through there but not much that will take you the whole way.

So what would be the best way to get to lake burley griffin? Centenary trail bike path to belconnen… Then?

Once you’re in Belco you can go through Bruce then go across Dickson/Hackett and link with the Ainslie/Majura trail. Going down the Ainslie trail will take you very close to LBG and King’s bridge, then go over the bridge and boom Manuka.

Boom!

We will see how I go tomorrow. Might leave extra early to allow for ‘where the fuck am I?’

I’ll do you a map tonight.
The easy way is bike path to belco lake, cross over the bridge (stay on the north side), follow the bike path to AIS and Bruce Ridge, ride along Dryandra or the Centenary Trail, go down Clunies Ross to the lake bike path

Just realised ridethecity.com doesn’t cover Canberra. Weird.

Is Google directions for bikes no good to you in Canberra Ezy?

^Above option:https://goo.gl/maps/GZKDuttdFXr

Option 2:Google Maps
Need more?

Nope - that should cover it, let’s see how I go :slight_smile: first commute in 4 months!

Thanks heaps Adam!

Made it! Not a bad ride - a few short pinches in there on loose fire road which isn’t the best on the SS with semi slicks. But some of the bush land is unreal. All to myself as well.

Just going back to this - Google for bikes is pretty generic, it doesn’t cover the massive network of firetrail and nature reserves that are littered through Canberra.

Try map my ride with the open street map overlay.

I found the world topo to be hella great yesterday when I was planning a route (Over Collins Cap and down to New Norfolk), had all the (4wd/hiking/biking?) trails named and showing. Couldn’t autofollow, but the detail was excellent.

yep, both are better than google maps.

and opensource street map for android is great in that respect.

OSM maps are “routable”, if you’ve got 10 mins spare this is worth setting up (~330mb for Oceania)

https://www.velomap.org/tutorials/enbeginners-starting-guide-dewo-beginnen-tutorial/