Cousin Balki's Melbourne Rant Thread.

Dedicated to the general observations you have encountered.
Chance to vent on shitty roads, suggestions for alternative routes, etc.

Quite pleased they filled in the pothole on Peel Street near Queensberry, right in the middle of the bike lane… that thing was giving me the irate every time I rode home.

Note: Sorry if this has been done, however I haven’t seen anything in my time here.

pot hole on spencer street going up hill from flinders to collins right out side AGE building. I see other commuters hit it all the time. I did the first time but am quite cautious nowadays.

the gutters in the st kilda sea baths underground parking will bend in, in certain points (at bottom of ramp) and puncture your back wheel. :frowning:

Free Apples!

Intersection of Royal Parade and Park Street…
Give them a good wipe they fell off the back of a truck in front of me.

Its official, this thread is Apples

If you see potholes etc, just call the local council. They’ll send a crew around usually within 48 hours to patch it up. I’ve done it a couple of times. It’s helps out all cyclists that way and keeps those guys in a job.

and there are various unsubstantiated rumours about local councils paying for new rear wheels that have been damaged when hitting potholes, but only when those potholes had previously been reported…

FFS, what sort of litigating country have we become??..

Old aus.bicycle post about rims and potholes

Things may have changed in 5 years.

Hate it how any time we get a day of decent rain these days the yarra bike path gets flooded

theres a hill on spencer st now?
=P

So now they’ve painted lines up Sydney Rd to indicate some sort of bike lane. Pity the metre they’ve allocated is riddled with potholes and roadwork repairs. At least they could have done some remedial work to make for a decent ride - I’ll still be out in the middle of the lane dancing with the traffic.

+1, in some spots it’s as wide as the white line. No way am I using it.

riding on sydney road in clearway hours is taking your life into your hands anyway, and it is a woeful excuse for a bike lane.

upfield bike path is fun in the evenings

My most hated road in Melbourne

There is a green frame on Peel Street, North Melbourne, between Victoria and Queensberry streets on the west side of the road.

GREEN FRAME, looks about 56cm and in decent knick.

Please note: I saw this from the tram and did not take a decent look.

[Thread dig]

So the Newmarket instersection aka the roundabout from hell aka the wheel of death has recently been upgraded.

I’m in two minds.

On one hand it does seem to be safer with plenty of bike lanes and clear traffic delineation, on the other hand the sacrifice seems to be an additional five minutes traversing the fucker thanks to a series of traffic lights that seem to take an eternity to change - particularly entering from Peel St to Royal Pde.

I used to hammer it off the line at the Royal Pde/Grattan St intersection to be in prime position when I entered the intersection (heading to Peel), but now I might as well plod along with the rest of the commuters as I’m just going to get a red anyway.

…and I feel sorry for those heading to Elizabeth St that have to stop at the first red when they used to be able to continue through.

Discuss.

i was chatting to sarah m about this on G+.

i’m with you on all of the above…except the part about plodding along. i’m not changing what i used to do, and i’ll continue smashing through it just as quick as a car.

but the lights are shit, i’m yet to see how this will help*. at least when there was a gap a decent amount of cars could get through. i would HATE to have to drive through there each day. then there’s those that runs reds anyway (both cars and bikes).

*this is obviously based on my personal experiences from the last week (i’ve been riding this route for the last 2.5 years)

merri creek path (towards fitzroy) when flooded is really bad.

also, regarding the changes to the “wheel of death”, am i right in assuming if i have a green light now i no longer need to check for trams?

that is my common sense assumption, but that roundabout lacks common sense on a grand scale, so thought i’d ask melbourne natives.