Cousin Balki's Melbourne Rant Thread.

Mixed bag for me; while I have noticed some drivers giving me more space, there’s others that probably aren’t even aware of the law change.

Hard to get a good gauge on it during lockdown, drivers generally seem a bit more relaxed due to the decrease in traffic.

Love those early morning rides during lockdown with hardly any traffic though.

Possibly noticed a change down here on peninsula, but hard to gauge. I spent a lot of time driving and listening to MMM this year and was impressed at how many TAC ads there were about it.

Good stuff.

3 Likes

boo-urns.

At least the Vic TAC seemed a little bit proactive. Not a word on most radio in Sydney, or much of NSW. They just let the bogans heads explode about it and put out a social media image or two nearly 12 months later. Of course, they had more info about riders having to carry ID, which was removed after a ‘trial period’ and Duncan Gay left the roads ministry. Dude did more to kill cycling in Sydney than Isaac Butterfield.

There was quite a breeze blowing in our little corner of town last night.

Spoke too soon, got squeezed hard this morning. The lad clearly doesn’t listen to MMM.

This you @Captain_Commuter LOL

Seriously though what the fuck is going on here?

Apparently the perpetrator has handed himself in. I’d like to know what provoked that kind of response though - incorrect sock height?

Imagine trying to reason with that lunatic.

It does look as though something had occurred prior and the dude went back for another pass filming - why was the dude filming on his phone; why did he look left coming around the corner and say “what have I done” before the guy started yelling?

Not trying to blame the victim. There’s no excuse for aggressive threatening and violent behaviour. But it does reinforce the view that it’s always best to walk/ride away from these things.

EDIT - explanation on Twitter:

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 12.07.19 pm

It looks like a case of mistaken identity surely

Maybe. Dude did seem cucked.

1 Like

Today I found a probably stolen bike, wallet, and phone in my hood. I saw a dude lying on the ground next to them last night. There was a syringe next to the near new bike. The wallet had a bet365 card, St vinnies food stamp, valium, and $25.

Chucked it and the phone in a plastic bag and took them with the bike to Collingwood police station. Buzzed the door and told them they’re like nah sorry take it to Richmond or Fitzroy. I said ummm I don’t really want to take this stuff there I just live around the corner and walked.

They said bad luck sorry. Pfffft I’m trying to be a good Samaritan and return this shit, but not THAT good. Anyway I left them in front of the police station. So you know, if you know someone that lost a bike, that’s where it went

I’m not condoning lycra boy but the way the protagonist went from “I don’t understand/please explain” to “you f*cking coward” as soon as ol’ mate turns his back makes me think there is a lot more to this.

@shortsie I’m not either of them, attacker or victim. Northcote’s not even in my 15k (or 5k or whatever the bubble was that day).

27prttwm4yv71

5 Likes

All you hippies that ride mountain bikes should get behind the proposed Warburton MTB trails: Yarra Ranges Mountain Bikers

2 Likes

Not bike related.

Dejour Jeans have recently moved production to Vietnam. They cite lack of staff at every level of production for the shift - thanks COVID.

I’m a bit sad, it was here that I first heard about Dejour and I couldn’t imagine how many pairs I’ve bought over the years. Then again, I buy plenty of stuff that is manufactured overseas, so it’s not like I’m going to boycott a local business.

There’s no word on whether production will return to Australia when staffing levels return to normal, but I find that unlikely.

The weird thing is the prices have gone up, too.