CX in Sydney?

My wednesdays are way too free and I wanna get out on the CX bike for some fun times. Where should I go tho? Anywhere with smooth singletrack would be fine I guess. Have car, will drive. Anyone got any ideas / wanna come?

etomato/alex was saying some of the Manly Damn trails are doable on CX/SSCX, I was going to head out with him at some stage, though wednesdays I’m at work.

I’d be keen and in. No idea where though. Manly Dam is around the corner though and I’ll check it out as soon as my bike is built up which should hopefully be this week.

The Manly Dam loop has some pretty rocky sections - I had to get off my bike a fair few times, but then I’ve never mountainbiked. A good place to test out your handling skills, but slow going if you’re lame like me.

Half the appeal of that place is that it’s a good distance to ride to. I’m sure there’d be other trails up north though.

Manly Dam definitely would be a challenge on a CX bike. Loftus and Mt Annan would be the two most CX friendly tracks around Sydney.

I have another idea though for a road/cross ride though - have been thinking about this one for a while:

• Ride down to the Royal National Park, i.e. Audley
  • Follow Lady Carrington Drive (dirt track/fire trail) from Audley to Sir Bertram Stevens Drive
  • Climb up the Bertram Stevens hill to the Garie Beach carpark (possible swim at Garie Beach - half hour walk down the hill)
  • Take the fire trail from the Garie Beach carpark along the coast/cliffs to Otford
  • Bacon & egg roll at the Otford Pie Shop
  • Head north on Lady Wakehurst and take Lady Carrington back to Audley
  • Climb out of Audley, back to Sutherland.

That would be a 110km loop from Leichhardt, or 80km if we take the train back from Sutherland.

Being fire trail anyone could do it really, with the right tyres.

Sounds like a weekend ride rather than a mid-week after work thingy but it does sounds quite good to me. Give me a few weeks and I figure out some rides on the Northern-Beaches. Kuringai National Park is at my door step and I’ve already discovered a few trails begging to be ridden. The area around Terry Hills is supposed to be nice as well with many fire roads around, easy access and parking and even with a nice after ride beers spot.

I’d be keen also. I want to explore some more fire trail rides before it gets colder.

Excellent, 23c slicks on the Planet X fixie. Sign me up.

There’s also the singletrack up near the fenceline at centennial park if you want a quick fix.

Probably going to give loftus a go tomorrow if anyone is into that!

Loftus was too much effort. Went for a fang to centennial park and did that little section if (sandy) singletrack from the horse gates 3 times. Got a flat on the 3rd time. Walked to Bondi Junction and got the train home. There’s definitely more fun to be had in centennial park tho. Fuck flats.

Pro tip: carry spare tubes and a pump. Dummy.

Thought the pro tip would be to get the team mechanic to change out the wheel? Anything less is amateur hour…

Thanks Dad, surprised you didn’t pull the #420blazed lols again.

…but you are correct.

Didn’t want to carry shit, so I didn’t. Lucky there’s a train. Yolo that’s the motto.

Yolo all you like, but you could have yoloed a lot more if you had a tube and pump. #justsayinbrodontshootthemessenger

Wait, which of you is the messenger?

Will check out the Perimeter Trail on the weekend (Terry Hills). Its only 14ks apparently but a good start I guess to explore the area. There’s seems to be more out there but its of course always a matter if you are allowed to ride it or not. A pain in the ass really as most of the trails I already discovered arent even sign posted.

In this scenario I think it’s me. #confused