Dead rear SSCX wheel/hub/something?

I was just pottering around playing frisbee with the wife this afternoon and we went to try and find a park bench to have a beer on, as I rode off I felt like my brakes were stuck on, I stepped off and checked for brake rub on the rear rim, nope - all clear, I had noticed that my rear wheel had moved in the rear drop out (bike is a single speed with horizontal dropouts) and the tyre was rubbing on the frame in this sort of fashion… || This has been happening for a while now when I go over rough terrain or really am putting the power down whilst grinding up a hill.

So I fixed that, all good, hopped back on and it felt exactly the same. It had me stumped that I even loosened the canti brakes to make sure it wasn’t brake rub, still didn’t fix it and I suddenly had a bike that I couldn’t ride and it didn’t even like being NJS walked. Once I got home I took the rear wheel off and gave it a spin, it seemed to spin okay. So I put it back in the dropouts, it spun okay, I then tightened the nuts in the dropout and as soon as there was pressure on the hub it would seize up again.

I am not sure whats going on, but I now have another bike that I can’t ride. So from peoples opinions, what do you think has happened? Fucked hub?

What kinda hub is it? loose ball or sealed?

Ahhhh… it’s a Formula hub. Sorry, i’m not really big on details. It’s got about 2500kms on it.

Specs for the bike are here:

konaworld

Pretty sure formula hubs use cartridge bearings. Should be a pretty easy fix I would have thought.

EDIT: by replacing the bearings.

possible cracked/broken axle?

Yeah, that’s a good one to check for.

Undo the cones/preload what ever is holding the bearings in the hub and have a look.

Have also heard of cartridge bearings coming unseated in the hub and then the extra pressure of the axle nuts causing them to bind, not likely though.

I’ve had formula hubs come to a (literally) grinding halt. Took it to a shop to check. They just replaced the cartridge bearings and it was good as new.

Thanks all for your answers and patience - will replace bearings and see how I go.

Could have been the axles shoulders not resting on the inner race of the bearings and crushing the casing of one of them, perhaps.

Here’s your problem. Too much power.

So lay off the EPO for a while?

Thanks again everyone - as it clearly states I have no technical knowledge of this sort of stuff and am very happy to admit it.