double fixed vs single fixed hub

I’m curious as to what is stronger horizontally and vertically
the single fixed hub which will mean that the lacing will not be of the same angle to the axle on both sides, or the double fixed as it has same spacing on each side meaning on both sides of the hub the lacing will be to the same angle. I hope someone can understand my lay man description

cheers in advance to any one who is kind enough to reply.

added these photos to help explain my question

single fixed

http://www.philwood.com/wp-content/product/track1xrear.jpg

double fixed

http://www.philwood.com/wp-content/product/track2xrear.jpg

You’re photos aren’t coming up, but I think I know what you’re talking about.

Companies that offer fixed, free, fixed/free, fixed/fixed hubs, often use the same forging for all of their rear hubs. It saves money for them, because they only need to forge one type of hub. Then, they just machine the threads accordingly. What this means, for you, is that the hub flange spacing is the same across all hub variants, so in that case there will be no strength benifit in choosing asingle fixed hub over a fixed/fixed hub.

There are some hubs, especially older ones, that if they are just a single fixed hub, the hub flanges are not symmetrical about the hub center. On the non-drive side, this results in longer spokes and a larger spoke angle (from the vertical). Some will tell you that this is REALLY important, and results in MUCH stronger wheels. The extra little bit of angle it produces, in practical terms, is not enough to really matter. Yes, theoretically, it creates for a wheel that has more lateral (horizontal) strength, but it also calls on a need for longer spokes, which, again, theoretically, makes for a more elastic wheel. It also means that spoke tension is not equal from left to right.

I am of the opinion that a wheel (when possible) should have equal spoke lengths and tension on both sides. In a way, it just looks right, if that makes sense? If you follow that, and you’re still breaking spokes and damaging wheels, it’s not because you chose the fixed/fixed hub over the single fixed, it’s because of something else, ie not built properly, uneven spoke tension, etc etc.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
B

thanks that helped heaps, i was referring to the older styler and the picture i posted were of the phil wood hubs that are still made in that manner. i was leaning towards the double fixed as you mentioned because of the even spoken tension on both sides being stronger than that of the extra length and width from a single fixed.

*i think there must be a post limit for pictures, hence there not showing.

Pffft … I eat even spoke tension for breakfast :stuck_out_tongue:

For what its worth, As long as it’s built well and dished correctly I don’t think it’s going to make a dramatic difference to your wheel strength. As long as whoever builds it measures the distance of the hub flanges correctly and then uses the correct length spokes instead of just assuming it’s evenly spaced like a dbl fixed hub you should be fine.

I wish ‘they’ still designed graphics for packaging on new bike parts like they used to, absolutely love it.

this super 68 brake packaging is great too

Sorry to get side tracked

The strength differences will be negligible. In terms of practicality, the double threaded hub wins every time.

ahh … perhaps the coolest packaging ever :wink: