Dropper Seat Posts ... talk to me

Okay, i think my riding is at the point where i have the head space to use one, at the very least i can activate it at the start of the climbs/descents.

So ive come across this, and it looks to be probably the best bang for buck from what ive gathered.

https://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-reverb-seatpost-54780.html

Would love to hear any feedback/recommendations/advice/stories etc maybe even tips on how to best use it, ie are you constantly dropping/raising the post? etc…

FYI ill be running it on the ragley bluepig. Ill buy the RHS version then mount it under the bars on the LHS as im running 1x10, seems to be the way to go. External routed.

cheers in advance

I am not a fan of droppers, but my rationale is an entirely personal one.

My experience with these is that over time a degree of horizontal play is developed on the slider allowing for the seat to rotate (horizontally) a slight amount in both directions, from the 12 o’clock position. I found that I use pressure applied laterally to the seat by both my buttocks and inner thigh to make small weigh balance adjustments of the bike whilst riding. With the degree of play in the seat the first application of pressure is taken up by the lateral movement of the seat, thereby either requiring more pressure or missing the opportunity for balance correction entirely.

So, this and the almost imperceptible “thunk” the seat made as it rotated from side to side was too much for me. I did persist, and as such I have 2 or 3 Maverick speedball droppers in the shed at home requiring a service.

Maybe it was just me, or maybe it was the Maverick.

If you are planning to get the Reverb keep in mind there is a new revision B version just out with revised internals which vastly improves reliability. But the old versions are quite a bit cheaper as they are heavily discounted of course

Love my Giant contact dropper post on my Trance.
I thought at first it was heavy un-needed tech for my bike, until I bought a bike with one fitted. The first time I used one it reminded me of my old days racing Downhill, suddenly I could get lower on the bike and use much more body language through corners and berms. Now everytime a trail goes slightly downhill, I drop my post, go 2 gears harder and ride with a smile.
Yesterday, on Kombi at Ironbark, it was one of those big smile days.
I can vouch for the Giant dropper post, simple to use and clean, mounts either external or internal and has a replacable gas cartridge.

curious on people thoughts re: hydraulic droppers, I’ve only been exposed to specialized dropper posts en masse, I found them pretty simple to work on and service and install, had less fun with the couple of reverbs i’ve installed, but i’m not a MTB guy

haha what a goober

And here I was thinking PVD was a well respected engineer.

fwiw the wrenches I know that have had to work on them share an equally dim view of the spez post and it’s self destruction.

I think if your riding trails and not tech stuff they are a waste.
That being said I do like them and have built bikes with both hydro and cable, the hydro one I did was a pain to bleed when I trimmed it down but once I got it right it was mint.
Just remember they are another moving part that adds to the list of things that need regularly servicing.

Yeah, I’m a massive fan. They’ll entirely change the way you ride… I use mine more than I change gears and have used it on a cross bike with great success too. I use to stick my nose up at them, but you don’t know what you’re missing.

We import KS, which I think are regarded as some of the most reliable posts up until this point. But this next wave of droppers coming from Rockshox and Fox and all the new OEM units from the big brands (Giant, Trek, Spez, etc) are definitely going improve reliability a lot.

FWIW, droppers from any brand are not necessarily very unreliable (a few dogs I’ll leave unnamed aside). I think the general public just hasn’t cottoned onto the maintenance required for them. Keep a good amount of quality suspension grease up to them (whenever you would lube your chain - once monthly, any time after a wet ride). Remove the post from the bike after a wet/muddy ride, this prevents condensation build up within the seat post from water trapped inside the frame (particularly important with carbon frames to prevent galvanic corrosion). Being the factory service centre for KS, we get a lot of posts coming back through the warehouse, you would be amazed to see the mud/water build up in the bottom of some posts.

Hydraulic posts offer the best usability and weight, but at the end of the day they still operate on a hydraulic system. And unlike your fork which will keep going without ruining your day when it doesn’t work exactly as it should (which is still pretty often considering suspension parts have been around for 20+ years) the seat post cop a pretty unfair wrap for their unreliability.

FWIW again, I wouldn’t get that post from Merlin. Buying a 1st gen Reverb from an overseas online store is a recipe for pain further down the track. Either stump up for a 2nd gen, or buy local with warranty.

Blatant plug, but we’re a site sponsor… So eh: You can get into an entry level KS E-ten remote for <$250 from your LBS, or a top of the line LEV/LEV integra for <$499. Top quality posts, cheaper than just about anywhere else in the world, comes with 2 year almost no questions asked warranty, and keeps money in Australian businesses (Y).

I have a specialized command post and it’s ace. Once you figure out the basics, maintenance isn’t really an issue. MIne’s the externally routed cable operated variety, so the simplest of the lot, but once you work air pressure & cable tension, all that’s left id keep the activating lever under the seat clear of shit, and lubing the seals/getting rid of dirt.

if you really only have “one bike to do them all” then a dropper is a necessity I reckon,

My workmate is all about this -reckons its the answer to clearing barriers no probs.

Plus, its ace for pulling up to the lights.

Had a giant dropper on an xtc through our workshop, it was not a serviceable item said the giant shop I spoke to, reckon that’s a pretty major fail, have they changed that up lately?

I’ve had a reverb for 4 years now. Its had one full rebuild from the RS distributor here in that time (not cheap) but has otherwise been very reliable. I much prefer the finesse of the hydro droppers from the cable-actuated ones I’ve tried: Spesh and Giant. Though I hear good things about the KS Lev and Thomson droppers.

As for whether or not they are good. Well I have one on my 6" trail bike and I love it. I don’t have one my SS 29er, though I kinda wish I did. You can still ride most of the tech stuff without but it really slows you down in steep sections and you just can’t hit jumps the same as a bike with a dropper.

TL;DR droppers are good. Buy a reverb or KS Lev

If you do get a reverb and you’re running 1x, make sure to by a “RH” lever and run it under the bar on the left. Much better lever position.

I’ve had a reverb stealth for just under 2 yrs and it went back once in the first six months. Since then no problems. It’s now due for a full service as it’s become a bit ‘spongy’ and the basic service kit and the required tools come to around $100 delivered.

Fucken ell, mountain bikes are complicated ey.

Hey scott, the giant post isn’t serviceable as such, but the gas cartridge is replaceable.

Singlespeed steel framed, rigid forked is my go to mtb. It doesn’t have to be complicated.

^^^ truth.