Eating canberra

Un-American!

Alright, I’m going to do a dodgy lane change and start talking up this possibility in the MTB rides canberra thread.

Isn’t all Canberra served by a small canteen/tuck shop?

Nah, there’s just a roach coach that comes down from Sydney on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays

Anyone tried Loading Zone? Seems hipster enough for me to be interested in trying it out.

went to Roti House next to that new little club lime in that new little wedge between ANU and civic. Will definitely be back. Roti was good, tofu was unreal (Tofu Goreng) and Ipoh combination was tops, but could’ve done with a little more soupy stuff.
Went to meetfresh afterwards, the Taiwanese dessert place over the road there, and its GREAT. Far out, I could park myself in there for a few hours quite happily. Had the tofu pudding with taro balls… brilliant on a cold night.

The Rare Beef Noodle soup at Pho Phu Quoc Cape St, Dickson is to die for.

I second the shit out of that!
Toilets at wilburs are clean, burgers look tasty

Alright, double post, but it was nearly 4 months ago.

Burger with the lot at Cookery Nook in Hawker. Banger! Kind of heavy on the 'erbs n spices in the pattie, but its a great burg. With minimum chips (too much for one person) its $11. Its bloody awesome and the bloke in there is a champ.

I’m really enjoying Two Hands in Fyshwick

Half way between trendy cafe and fish and chip shop.

Great food, friendly, let me sit with the puppy outside, and specials change daily with interesting stuff

everyone at my college has been frequenting the Mandalay Bus in Haig Park, Braddon. Mainly when it’s late and they have the munchies/feeling lazy/drunk. I enjoyed the Jalapeno Poppers and Waffle fries but there aren’t many good vegetarian mains, end up just getting lots of little things. The menu is supposed to change regularly. Prices have gone up a bit so not as great value as before but food trucks in Australia don’t tend to be that cheap.

Nice one … when is it open?

Have been to Canberra a few times and I very much enjoyed Brodburger. I originally had one when I was younger from the old red caravan and more recently from the glass works.

I have also had a great coffee and Sup Espresso in Civic. The owner was a really cool guy and happy to have a chat!

It’s open everyday except for monday and tuesday from 6pm until really late.

Many a late night food run has been had to Brodburger! Only ever had the Brodveg and chips, usually enter a euphoric state of food coma shortly after.

I went to Double Drummer cafe in Barton yesterday after a ride and had black rice porridge with quinoa, strawberries and blueberries.
OMG it was totes AMAZING!!!
The cafe has a really good vibe about it too, with a huge drip coffee system (I don’t know the technical term) on the bench near the til. All the breakfast, lunch and pastries in the cabinets looked top quality. The staff were super-friendly and really quick getting food and coffees out. One of the baristas/waiters had a chat to us about his bikes and riding back in Germany.
The only down side is it’s hard to find because its tucked near a courtyard between some office buildings and doesn’t have street frontage. That does give it a nice secluded quality, though. It’s really an oasis in the desert of good food and coffee that is the parly triangle. You can find here: -35.305684, 149.134049

^^ good to know! thanks for the heads up… I’ve been looking for a reason to head southsideee.

Hi. I live on the south side.

There is a LOT of stuff happening in Canberra at the moment with bars + restaurants. The new Kingston Foreshore is now home to some new cafes, bars and resteraunts. I am heading there tonight to head to Rum Bar. There is also Mrs Sackville, Paleo Perfection and another LSL Roasters joint venture called Remedy.

There is also a new bar in a speakeasy style called Molly in the city.
The ex wig and pen brewer is opening his place in Braddon shortly.
Hotel Hotel, A.Baker in New Acton are doing some good things.
I visited Red Brick Espresso on my day off this week, great coffee and refreshing muesli.
LSR are also opening the ‘North Project’ which will have American BBQ food, and also their first dip into Distilling gins + schnapps.

SO MUCH HAPPENING!

Oh - also Rydges Lakeside has been bought out by QT Hotels. This is a good thing and hopefully they will bring their quirk to the dated building. There is talks of another speakeasy style bar opening up there called ‘Lucky’, where you have to go through the barbers (YES! HIPSTER BARBER IN CANBERRA!) to enter the bar.

^ this is great hey. Bigadz’s little place in Barton seems fun. Hotel hotel is a great place too, I really love what they did wit the whole building, especially the ‘stacked wood’ inside, on teh walls and ceilings. The other night we went to the wine parlour in New Acton for the first time since they reopened. Was really disappointing (avoid their pork belly), especially at that price mark .

Also since they place themselves as a tapas bar, their menu is in Spanish (with English translation), which is cool. However the Spanish is really fucked up - so many grammar mistakes. I guess if you don’t know Spanish it looks cool, but if you do it looks ridiculous.
\end pedantic rant

Double Drummer is one of those cafés that is only open during the week to service the office blocks in Barton.

If you haven’t been to Soju Girl yet - head there if you like pork belly. I haven’t heard good things about Parlour - ever.

Another newly opened restaurant is Temporada on 15 Moore Street which is a partnership between Ben Willis of Aubergine and his sous chef. Temporada means ‘seasonal’ in Spanish, but it isn’t a spanish restaurant.

From all reports, it’s pretty damn good and the cocktail list is impressive.