Eyelets

Indoor set of wheels.
Therefore only ridden on boards
85kilo rider.

Do you need eyelets?
That is the question?

Not should you have eyelets, do you need them?

No

what is going to be the intended use of these wheels and what do you weigh? But I’m of the same opinion as Des, No!

Racing Indoors only.
Weight above. Ranges between 80 - 85 kgs.
24 spokes. Two rims to choose from

Araya Aero 1 - World Champ (no eyelets) - polished silver
Wolber - Super Champion 'Competition (no eyelets) - blue

So why would you want to use eyelets - am I correct in my assumption that they make a stronger wheel?

Why the hell is everyone hating on eyelets? Yeah ok, go no eyelets and save 1x10-24g weight…

Of course you don’t need eyelets!

I’m sure that Eddy didn’t need eyelets! :wink:

However, they do assist the spoke nipple ‘move’ in it’s recess, and thus reduce the stresses at that point (all 24 of them in your case) of the rim. I suppose they also add some rigidity by tying together the section of the rim, though the metallurgists/engineers here would be able to detail the exact +/- of this.

No you don’t need them. If you build the wheel with eyelet-free rims it’s not bad practice to check and debur the spoke holes on the rim and slip a bit of grease or anti-seize on the spoke holes so your nipples will turn nicely and (hopefully) not seize later. Deburring also helps to avoid stress risers at the hole, and obviously isn’t necessary with eyeletted rims.

Don’t hate eyelets,
Just have a set of rims I want to use that don’t have eyelets in them.

Well, they should be fine then :slight_smile:

Just to be an antagonistic little bitch I’ll say yes, you really REALLY should use eyelets every time :evil:

And why then?

Back up your statement b1tch!! :smiley:

Shit…um…they were invented for a good reason, they look pretty when they’re shinny and new, they redistribute stress on the rim at the nipple interface, they’re good enough for the pro’s :expressionless:
Take your pic haha

Because Jobst says so.

Ok, how about because double eyelets help distribute the load over the upper and lower surfaces of the rim, which was probably more important in the days of lower strength alloys as compared to the heat treated 6000/7000 series that we use now.

What Blakey said.

They make a nice tinkly musical sound when they are rusted out, kinda like spokey dokeys only not as cool.

Summary for anyone else late to the thread:

Like this?

I think it was actually the rim-nipple interface to be pedantic.
I’m not sure I want to see a photo of that though :-o

ROFL, I’m sure I could find a pic somewhere, :-o but I think I might leave it :smiley: