Ezy's BBQ Thread

[video]http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v440/liam_81/IMG_1561_zpsdb704b0f.mp4[/video]

I gave the bone from the lamb to my brother to give to my nephdog (nephew dog), Roxy couldn’t eat it in peace. Stupid chickens.

Holy crap that lamb looked good!

that looks amazing! I saw a weber for $53 somewhere over the wknd. almost cheaper than the meat (except when from kumo Keith)!

Good god why have I only seen this now. Could I come over next time? lol

Holy hell how have I not seen this before!

How long until you start setting up a Weber by lake on your commute home so you can have slow cooked breakfast the next day?

hahaha ziiiing.

I do actually have a small kettle BBQ that should be pretty portable for charcoal grilling. I might bust it out one day… will need a rack though.

eBay has 50% off anything in the BBQ section on Sunday. Could be a good time to pick up a cheap BBQ :slight_smile:

That lamb looks awesome.

Tried the ‘fuse’ method last weekend…cheers for the tip!

Took a bit of effort (read a few firelighters) to get going as I don’t have a chimney but once it was lit the temp sat at a steady 225F for 6 hrs or so. I was cooking a 2kg bone-out pork shoulder with a coffee rub

It was still only sitting at 175 by the end so I needed to boost it in the oven to bring it up to 200, but it shredded easily & tasted awesome

Just need some of these for next time :slight_smile:

Bear Paw Products |

Have a go at this next time for the chimney, because you only need a small hand full, you can make one out of a used tin can: 6 Grilling Hacks to Step Up Your Live-Fire Game | Serious Eats

Also, watch the direction of your snake - I would have started it from the other end. I got caught out on this on my first go as well. Because they are leaning on each other, it is best to light them from the end where they fall onto the next brick, not away from it. It just reduces the risk of the snake breaking.

Any reason you went for the bone out? From what I have read - the best results are from when the bone is left in. Give it a go next time and see if you see any difference. Are you adding any water into your drip pan?

That bark looks good :slight_smile:

Bear Paw… lame! Check this one out! 1 min 09 sec in! POWER!!!

[video=youtube_share;fFDiPxH7kRE]http://youtu.be/fFDiPxH7kRE?t=1m9s[/video]

I was wondering which way to stack the fuse - I figured by leaning the following brick on top of the previous one the heat would rise and make it light more easily. I’ve tried three now and it seems to work each time, but if I get any problems I’ll try the other way. Cheers for the link to the chimney too - I’ve seen them in shops a couple of times and I’ve always thought I could put something similar together myself although I never got round to figuring out how, a can is the perfect and obvious solution!

I was hoping for a bone-in shoulder too, but when I got to the butchers it was late on a Friday afternoon and they’d cleaned up the cutting gear for the day. So they could offer me a whole 6kg shoulder with the bone in or a boned roast. There’s only two of us at home and I could picture the look on my girlfriends face if I turned up with what looked like half a pig on my shoulder, so decided to take the boned option…

No pics but did a brisket this weekend too. It hit 200 after 7 hrs or so and I decided to close the vents on the kettle and leave the meat on the grill for a couple of hours instead of moving it into an esky to rest as I had a beer on the boil. Good but dry - won’t try that again…

I haven’t really had too much experience with the brisket. I am yet to have one that I am happy with to be honest. The rub or the smoke is usually too overpowering, or the meat ends up too dry or too chewy. I think it is a hard one to get right.

Next up for me are some good ol’ribs I think. Not for a while though as I don’t see any good solid weekend time at home for the next month.

What beer did you put on? Have you seen the Homebrew thread on FoA?

I generally make either kit + extras or BIAB ‘All grain partial mashes’, I only have a 19l stockpot so can’t mash a full amount of grain and add in extra malt extract to boost the OG. Sunday was a hop hog clone, using dried cascade & galaxy flowers along with pelleted centennial & Amarillo. But I do veer into unusual adjuncts once in a while.

I’ve noticed the homebrew thread but I get into enough trouble as it is with spending time on forums so I’m keeping away!

Hmmmm - ribs. Never managed to do them well, but always keep trying to!

Did a ‘beer butt chicken’ on the weekend.

Basic premise is the chicken sits upright in the BBQ with a beer can up it’s arse. The juice from the beer then evaporates through the chicken and keeps it nice and moist.

Figured it was a bit of a novelty but turned out great.
Covered the chicken in a thin layer of mustard (got the tip from earlier in this thread) and rubbed in some BBQ seasoning, tumeric, oregano, basil, salt and pepper, then rubbed it in and let it sit for a little while (not sure if it made a difference)

Mid-prep:

Beer of choice:

I only own a gas BBQ, but woodfire/coal BBQ would make it alot better.
Preheated to about 175C and mounted the bird:

Cooked for about an hour and twenty:

Literally just pulls apart and made some roast pumpkin/sweet potato and toasted turkish bread to accompany it:

Not as technical as a briskit/shoulder/leg but still made for a sweet sunday lunch. And has inspired me to plan more BBQ’s

Yup - beer butt chicken is awesome. Hot tip though. Don’t use nice beer for it as you really aren’t going to taste the difference. All it does is keep it nice and moist and thats about it. Try with other liquids next time - cola, ginger beer etc. To get more of the flavour in there, chuck some herbs into the can with the beer or whatever liquid you use.

Having the seasoning sit on the skin for a while will draw out the moisture = crispy skin. All good!

Sweeeet. I found the smell of beer in the chicken was pretty strong coming straight out of the BBQ. But yeah, couldn’t actually taste it completely. Would be super keen to try ginger beer next time.

Try tracking down a smoker box so you can add some smoke flavour next time as well. Makes a big difference to the taste.

Setup a Gas Grill Smoker - Smoke On Your Own Grill!

With brisket are you using a crutch to get the temp up? Makes all the difference. For rubs just try pepper salt and a little paprika - I use mustard as a wet rub also. Brisket is one of the things I have nailed. Cant really get pork butts in the middle east (not so surprising) looking forward to adding them to the list whenever I move on.
For smoke on brisket I chuck a few chips along the fuse so the smoke isnt too heavy right off the start. Still get a good smoke ring but it isnt too much.

That first picture looks like something from ‘how to basic’…ya creep.

Haven’t gone the crutch yet (The Texas Crutch: Wrap in Foil to Tenderize, Moisturize, and Speed Cooking ← for those of you playing at home). Mainly because I have read that it softens the bark quite a bit. I like my bark! Although I do rest the meat as much as I can all foiled up after the temp has been reached. My next brisket I will be doing the dalmatian rub for sure.