Ezy's BBQ Thread

After my visit to the states - I have been getting into the BBQ a bit, I realised that Australian’s don’t really BBQ as well as some of the other countries, and the saying “throw another shrimp on the BBQ” should change to “Throw another shrimp on the hot plate”. Generally - Australians love to cook snags on hotplates, this is all well and good if you want to have a quick, no fuss meal - but once you start cooking with charcoal/wood - the flavours you add and unlock are amazing.

Over the past few months I have been cooking pork and beef, mainly the American styles of pulled pork and beef brisket.

I cook these in a weber kettle, because I want these to cook for long periods (10+ hours) at a low temperature (100-120C) I have to set up the bbq in a way that will maintain these temps. It is called the ‘snake’ method and is set up using the coal like so:

Basically, you are creating a wick that will slowly burn around the kettle. I have scattered hickory chips at intervals in the early part of the snake, there is a point where once the meat is cooked for a few hours the smoke won’t penetrate the meat and you are just wasting the wood.

This snake was used to cook a small brisket that I had put store bought dry rub on.

I overcooked it a little bit, but it still tasted really nice. That pink line on the meat is called a smoke ring - this is the colour that the smoke turns the meat and is highly desirable for BBQ. There were a lot of things that I did wrong in this cook - but I am applying what I learnt from this to more cooks.

Next up: Pulled Pork

I cooked pulled pork in a slow cooker a few weeks ago - the result was pretty good… I know this is going to sound a little strange - but it tasted a bit too ‘porky’ for my liking. So I set aside a day to try it out on the weber. I set up the BBQ in the same way as the brisket using the snake method. Applied a dry rub to the pork (the cut was a pork shoulder - bone left in) and cooked it for most of the day after a 6am start.

During the day I sprayed the meat with a mixture of water and apple cider vinegar to keep it a little moist and help create the ‘bark’ which is that really nice burnt looking outer layer of the meat. The bark is packed with smoke flavour.

Because you cook to temperature, not time - I have a digital thermometer that you can see sticking into the pork - this measure the internal temperature of the meat. The other wire goes to an identical probe, this one measures the cooking temperature. These send a signal to a wireless base station that I can keep an eye on during the day and it will alert me if it goes below or beyond a targeted temperature.

Once the desired temperature was reached. The meat was taken off the kettle and tightly wrapped in foil and let to rest for 2 hours. After the two hours the meat was ‘pulled’ using to forks and scratching at the meat.

This one was going to be served with sliders - but because I would rather fill up on the pork, I made little burrito style parcels using lettuce leaves and a bit of a slaw. I made a BBQ sauce but I didn’t like it - way too vinegary.

This was the first time I cooked the pork via the kettle - as mentioned above, the slow cooker port tasted a bit too porky - well on the bbq it tasted more like bacon. This may or may not make sense.

Another 6am start this morning - this time for another brisket… this one is a little different though to my first one. Check out the size of it (thats a standard baking tray it is on).

I made a rub for it last night consisting of Salt + Pepper + Maple Sugar + Smoked Paprika + English Mustard Powder.

I lathered the brisket with mustard to give the rub something to stick to.

And chucked it on the weber - this will give you a better indication of the size of this thing! Temperature probes are in at the fattest part of the brisket and the other probe next to the meat to keep an eye on the bbq temperature. This just lets me know if I need to adjust the vents or even if the snake has gone out.

This should be ready at around 5-6pm I think. Time to go for a ride!

I have let another American style bbqer know about this thread.
You both have alot in common.

^ Rad - I am new to this, so please excuse any BBQ rookie things I am doing.

So 8 hours and 50 minutes in. I have just pulled the brisket from the weber as the internal temperature reached 93C. I wrapped it in foil and a couple of tea towels and put it in the esky and will let it sit for a couple of hours. Time to make some cornbread and a slaw.

BBQ sauce for pork? Use BBQ sauce + apricot jam. Taste better than it sounds.

Yeah I might try that - the sauce I made had a huge amount of apple cider vinegar. Way too overpowering.

Looking good. My key tip is to balance your smoke - when I started I overdid it a couple of times. That and the rotisserie weber attachment is great. Also try the pork again without the mop.

Just finished the meal - Next time I do a brisket I am going to just go easy on the rub. It was a little too salty for my liking and even a little overcooked as well. Maybe I sat it for too long waiting for the guests to arrive… who knows.

The cornbread I made to go with it though was fkn amazing.

you rule.

Subscribed. Looking forward to Ezy’s American BBQ Brewery Bakery Restaurant.

Aww yeah - are you taking requests for pre-hockey lunch next weekend? :slight_smile:

I do have some beef ribs in the fridge - timing on that one will have to be sorted though. I would probably have to put them on at 3-4am.

as long as we make it to the wog club this time.

Great thread - never seen that ‘snake’ of heatbeads before, will give that a go. I’ve been trying the same thing after inheriting an old kettle Weber last year. I use Amazing Ribs as my go-to website (http://amazingribs.com) and that’s got a massive amount of hints & tips on it.

Also take a look at some of the cuts of meat - the same name is applied to different cuts of meat depending on where the butcher is based. For example a brisket in the States is a chunky triangular wedge of meat, but over here it’s more of a strip. My local butcher often does blade roast at $7 /kg and it looks similar to US brisket so I use that as a substitute

Cut most of the fat off the top, oil and then cover with a salt, pepper, onion, garlic & chilli rub

Inject the meat using a BBQ syringe - I’ve used homebrewed Imperial Stout or cider - apple juice probably works just as well but you don’t get to drink the rest of the bottle. The gloves were part of a comedic ‘you can trust me, I’m a doctor’ style photoshoot.

Then cook indirect at 225(ish) for a few hours until the internal temp hits 150 - this method of stacking heatbeads gets a little warm, will try the snake next time

There’s something called ‘the stall’ that can happen to big chunks of meat at around 150 F. Cooling from the evaporation on the surface almost matches the temp increase of the meat and slows down the cooking process, so to get around that you can use a ‘Texas Crutch’ (missus). Basically wrap the brisket in foil with a cup of liquid, put in a baking tray and put back on the heat for a few more hours. This is where I get impatient, but I’ve found that if you take it out at 210 F you get a much more tender brisket than if you take it out at 195. The fat renders and melts into the meat.

When you unwrap it it looks like a meteorite

At this point you should put it in an esky for at least an hour to let everything settle down & soften, but if you’re too hungry it looks like this

Also save the juices from the pan, cut off the burnt bits of the brisket and fry them up together.

Hungry now…

Awesome! I wouldn’t mind trying to inject the meat next time to try and get a jucier finish. Where did you get the injector from if you don’t mind me asking?

On the weekend I had a small BBQ - some beef spare ribs that I got from the local markets. These ribs came from a farm close to Kumo Keiths home town. I made a dry rub of ground coffee, smoked paprika, chilli powder, granulated garlic, salt, pepper - I didn’t have time to set up a snake so I just went for a basket full of beads and set it up for indirect and just chucked some hot water in the drip pan to keep things moist. I added some hickory and Mesquite chips for smoke early on.

The temp was a bit too high at 130-140C - but because I didn’t really have time for a long + slow cook I left it at that. It did drop down as the heat beads started to burn off. Towards the end I basted the ribs with a BBQ sauce from the local butcher and placed the ribs right over the heat beads to get the sauce to caramelise a bit. At this point it got a little smokey from the sauce hitting the coals. User Lukethespook got this snap.

We ate these pretty much straight from the BBQ, flavours were really nice but the meat was a little too chewy for my liking, probably due to the high temps and reduced cook time. It did however go really well with some NZ beers that Luke brought over.

The ribs were pre cut for us, which didn’t allow me to remove the membrane from the bone so that bit was super chewy.

I’ve tried beef ribs in the slow cooker but not on the smoker yet - will have to give that a go. I sampled pulled pork with a coffee rub recently too, very nice. And the syringe was around $30 from Barbecues Galore. The first time you use it you WILL squirt yourself in the eye, which just adds to the fun.

I picked up some pork belly & spare ribs from Bangalow last week so had pork ribs on Saturday. Took the skin off, soaked them in apple juice overnight then rubbed a mix of brown sugar, onion, garlic, chilli, salt, pepper and whatever else was around at the time. Cooked for around 4 hrs for the belly and 2 1/2 for the spare ribs. My temp was a bit high so the ribs charred on the outside, but they were melt in the mouth soft. Incredibly fatty though!

Speaking of pork belly - have you tried bacon? Brine your pork belly for a week or so with salt water, honey & spices. Dry & smoke for a few hours & you have fantastic nitrate-free bacon. You can use nitrates in the brine mix if you want it to look pinker & last a little longer but we like to keep it as natural as possible. We did a similar thing with some big cuts of chicken breast, and I’ll do it with turkey breast when I find a decent supplier.

Wouldn’t be the first time ezy’s squirted himself in the eye.

Mr Kumo kindly provided me with a leg of lamb from his farm - and it was something that I had to cook on the weekend before as it was thawing out. I didn’t have much time to cook this weekend so I butterflied the lamb to reduce the cooking time. Sliced little pockets in the skin and stuffed it with slithers of garlic and thyme - a bit of olive oil + salt and pepper.

I set up the coals to one side of the weber and seared both sides of the lamb for 3 minutes, then put the lamb on the other side of the bbq away from the coals (indirect heat). I added some cherrywood chips for a bit of smoke. I Cooked it like this for about an hour and then added the glaze (blackcurrant jam, brown sugar, mustard powder, chilli flakes and balsamic vinegar). I brushed the lamb and continued to cook it for another 30 minutes.

It turned out well, the lamb was a lot stronger in flavour than any other lamb I have had! The blackcurrant glaze worked perfectly as a sweet addition to balance out that strong lamb flavour. The smoke was nice and subtle… the garlic was a bit too much though.

I also baked some sourdough. One was a sultana, currant and date loaf. The other is apricot, coconut flakes and walnut.