Fat Tires (40-45) for Gravel, ROAD and everything in between

…any ideas for a tire that works well on the road but is suited for heavy gravel use as well? About to purchase some RockNRoads but rather out of reviews and because I like how it looks (important) rather than knowing actual people using it. I want a tire that at least makes me feel that it rolls well on the road.

these in 42.

Continental CycloX King Folding Tyre, TYRES ROAD/TRI/TRACK FOLDING

are good.

try these

On-One Gravel Road B.S.C. Type 1 Folding Tyre | On - One

and let us know?

I’ve just pulled the trigger on a set of these in 700c 41mm; Surly Knard Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Recommended to me recently.

How big do Schwalbe Kojaks go? I’ve had good luck with these on gravel in the past (in a 35mm), and even like the Ultremo ZX in a 28 on gravel. They also roll really well on the road, cos they’re essentially just a big fat slick road tyre.
Okay, the only seem to go to 35mm, but it’s still a very capable tyre.
What about the resist nomad? They go to 45mm.
IMO big fat slicks work just fine on gravel, but YMMV.

read a good article on here, linked by DICE, about a guy who rode on those Knards for 1000kms, but I’m sure you’ve read this already.

Surly ECR: Bike Touring 1,000 KM Impressions - Pedaling Nowhere

T7 has the 700x35 kojaks with race guard, for $35.

Yeah slicks are ok till you lean them over or need to climb out of the saddle -but I guess is also depends on the surface (indeed my mileage did vary).

I personally really recommend those conti 700x42’s, a mate has some too and he is stoked on them for gravel and dirt.

Choice, let me know how big they run in real life and what they are like.

pity jenson shipping rates suck.

What a shame, just have a Jenson delivery coming. I dont find the $30 shipping costs too bad btw. considering that most AUS shops charge you $10 and considering that some of their stuff is damn cheap when on sale.

The Knards, never heard of them before, seem quite heavy or did you go for the folded version?

dont like slicks either but I do like these Contis and will probably go for them. Hope your mate doesnt have too many flats?

Na, I’ve done 1500kms on mine maybe, no flats. Him less kms but no flats.

Went for the folded version. Ordered last Tuesday and arrived at the office today. I’m planning on setting them up tubeless and will test them out on the Belgrave Melburn Gravel Grinder on Sunday (if the leave pass is forthcoming).

Let me know how they went…still riding my 35mm Kenda Slants (not a bad tire btw) but I need something bigger for the kind of trails Im riding.

Will do. I am riding them on the Melburn Gravel Grinder on Sunday to give them a proper test - they go pretty nicely on the road based on my brief burn around the block a few nights ago.

My attempt at setting them up tubeless was a messy fail.

I’ve been on 700x41c knards in the folding version for about 3 months now on my Soma Doublecross. Honestly one of the best tires I’ve used, it does exactly what it says it does on the box. Being a high thread count tire (120tpi) their obviously very supple and have plenty of grip on dirt. Similar rolling resistance to my 32c Marathon Supremes I normally run. Durability has been pretty good so far (500kmish with limited signs of wear). The best part is their surprising on road performance, I’ve found most narrow nobby tires to flex a lot on tarmac and give an unnerving squirmy feeling - I haven’t had that feeling once yet. Haven’t had a flat either, but I think this is more down to luck… the sidewall is very flimsy (thinner than my 400g mtb race tires) and would be susceptible to tearing on rocky singletrack. The top casing is thick and the tread is quite deep - so glass punctures should be okay.

I wouldn’t buy the 27tpi wire bead version though. Money spent on tires is money well spent.

Sounds good but now Im concerned about the sidewall being flimsy as most of the trails around here include some kind of rock. They otherwise sound pretty damn good.

There’s actually a pic of the tread of Nats tyres in the ‘Ride photos’ thread. User: Bob posted it.

As for thin sidwalls, probably a lot less of an issue on CX bikes, especially those not running tubeless.

This thread is probably getting a bit old now but I thought I’d pipe up as I have been looking at a number of similar tyres recently.

I really like Sammy Slicks tread pattern for gravel riding and dry hardpack trails, they also work well on the road and are only marginally slower than a slick. The only problem you face with a semi-slick tread like this is that on wet greasy tarmac the these tyres will ‘let go’ on off-camber corners, so you’ll find yourself sliding across the road if you’re not careful. Of course, the same can be said for any knobbly tyre and this is why I wouldn’t commute on them.

So the Sammy Slicks are great tyres but are too narrow at 35c on the label (and 32c in reality). Here are some options in the 40-45c size (other than those already stated):

Kenda Happy Medium Pro 700x40c
First Impressions: Kenda Happy Medium Tire | GRAVELBIKE.com

• this is the closest thing I have found to the Sammy Slick in a larger size

Panaracer Fire Cross 700x45c

• a true monstercrosser, good if you want to ride some really rough roads (especially in winter)

Clement X’Plor MSO 700x40c
First Impressions: Clement X’Plor MSO Tire | GRAVELBIKE.com

Bruce Gordon Rock ‘n’ Road 700x43c (also made by Panaracer)
Rock 'n Road 700c All Terrain Tire| Bruce Gordon Cycles

• I am getting a set of these from a mate who bought them back from Japan but they are too big for his bikes chainstays - Looking forward to seeing how they go

On and there’s also Vee Rubber. They make 3 tyres @ 700x40c: X-C-X, Race V and Rail
Cyclocross Archives - Vee Rubber| vehicle tires, motorcycle tires, bicycle tires , truck and bias tires,bike tires,fat bike

And lastly I thought I’d add that I also think the Surly Knards look like a good tire (I’d definitely go with the folding version tho’).

On and there’s also Vee Rubber. They make 3 tyres @ 700x40c: X-C-X, Race V and Rail
Cyclocross Archives - Vee Rubber| vehicle tires, motorcycle tires, bicycle tires , truck and bias tires,bike tires,fat bike