Fendered SS Steamroller

I can confirm that the SKS breakaway/release whatsits will work with PB fenders on the rear. Quicker/easier solution than wingnuts imho.

Ronin: nice bike!

Emphyrio: thanks for the heads up. At the moment the wingnut solution works perfectly well, so it’ll stay like that.

@ Mansolwota, cool beans, I like the wingnut idea, definitely looks nicer than a black plastic block. Enjoying the bike.

hey mansolwota, didn’t mean to hijack your thread - probably should have been more clear - i’m also running paul racer mediums/paul levers, brooks/thomson/risers/oury and fenders. And seeing that Surly and Salsa are both the same stable - they’re like brother and sister. My cousin has a steamroller cream not dissimilar to yours. Love it.

^ hey guys, no worries at all!

Appreciate your posts.

hey mansolwota, did you sort out your rear paul funky monkey clamp issue?

IIRC, the thread in the clamp doesn’t go all the way through, and what can happen is when you think it’s tight (because of the seatpost being clamped properly), what’s actually happened is the fixing bolt has bottomed out in the thread. Solution would be to shave a tiny bit off the bolt, or the painful thing - drill and tap the clamp all the way through.

Yes,with some carbon paste it worked out OK. I see what you mean re the thread being too short, that’s something I thought about too. So far so good, but if it was a bike I’d use heaps or do long rides with I’d look into shortening the bolt, or getting a shorter bolt.

I think about this bike all the time.

You ought to buy that cross check in bne then!

Where? Can’t find any ads on here…

gone

you snooze you lose, thanks though

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I’m interested in putting Paul Racer M brakes on my Steamroller. I was wondering if there was any reach adjustment left on the rear caliper when the axle is in the middle of the dropout as pictured in your post? I’m running 33mm tires and have my axle set to towards the rear of the dropout currently for more tire clearance between the tire and the seat tube and am curious if the Racer M’s have enough reach to allow for this?

I’ll check and let you know. On the pic above I’m running 26 tires (which actually measure 28) and mudguards, so I’d say you’d be fine.

Just spotted this on the Surly Image Dump and thought I’d share 'cos Steamroller’s are rad.

Why get a Mash “work frame” when you be classy and weird at the same time with a Surly? I don’t get it.

The pad is set about half way in the brake arm, so I have lots of reach adjustment left. This is with mudguards and 28 tires. The rear wheel is also about half way in the dropouts, a touch towards the rear half.

Andy vibes: nice one!

I still dream about this

I think that spring on fender bolt trick might fix my rattly alloy ones. Awesome. Although I was just going to buy a new bike instead and was pretty ok with that plan.

A pretty cool one