Fendered SS Steamroller

I bought this Steamroller 2nd hand quite a few years ago, I rode it a lot but it’s been gathering dust in my shed for the last little while. I hung on to it thinking I could do something fun with it. I decided to try and build it as some sort of SS commuter with fenders, keen on trying to put fenders on a frame that’s not designed for this. The idea was to build a convenient bike, which I can ride with whatever shoes, whatever the weather and maybe carry a couple things on it. Something to go to the shops, the pub, the movies, go out to town and ride with the kids. Here it is:

The frame and most components are second hand or traded. I wasn’t in a hurry so I waited for nice things to show up, hoping that parts would work together. In the end it’s a bit of a blinged-out beater. Here’s the parts list:

Crankset: White Industries eno 48 T,
Freewheel: White Industries 17 T
BB: SKF
Pedals: V12
Wheels: TB14 to Gran Compe hubs, handbuilt by Kumokeith (only new component on the bike)
Brakes: Paul Racer M
Levers: Paul Canti
Headset: Chris King
Stem and seatpost: Thomson
Saddle: Brooks B17
Bars and grips: 3T Eryx /Oury
Fenders: planet bike
Tires: Grand Bois Cerf 26c
Bag: Swift Industries Bandito

The fun part was to fit the guards. I used p-clamps for both guards and they feel nice and tight, not too rattly. They are not the best fenders around and are way too fragile, but they do a job that’s good enough.

Because the frame has vertical dropouts, removing the rear wheel can be a pain with fenders in the way. So I secured the fenders’ stays with wingnuts so the fenders can be moved quickly and easily up the stays, out the way of the wheel.

Having a nice fender line at the chainstays was going to be a challenge. Although the frame is drilled at the chainstay bridge, that bridge is too close to the seat tube. I found this cool tip where a spring is threaded on the bolt and keeps the fenders in line and as close to the tire as needed.

I’ve wanted to try Paul Racer M brakes for a long time, and was lucky to get them second hand for cheap with matching levers. These brakes are very powerful and work well atm, however I need to work on their setup. I reckon cables are too long, and that straddle cable is badly setup. Some more fiddling to do.

The frame has no cable stops, so I used Paul’s Funky monkey hangers for both brakes.

A neat version of the Funky Monkey rear combines a hanger and a seat post clamp:

The SI Bandito is a good little bag that can fit tools & tubes, small camera, jacket, snacks, pump etc.

this is great.

Can’t see pics at work, but sounds bling bling for a beater eh.

Sick.

Top idea using wingnuts on the rear fender stays.
Those Planet Bike fenders: not as fragile as you think. I’ve got a set on my commuter which had taken a hit on my old crosscheck (under a previous owner) and are still going strong. You won’t kill them.

Good job. I like the chain stay bolt spring

Reminder: Can’t see pics, but using the front SKS safety breakaway things on rear also gives a QR ability for fenders. Not sure if Planet Bike fenders have these.

PB fenders don’t, or mine didn’t at any rate.

Wow.

Thanks to Joel from Monkeywrench (user tomacropod) for the wingnut tip, it is a top tip.

I broke a set of those PB fenders hopping a curbs and also hitting the fender too many times with my feet (massive toe overlap on that frame). They are good though, but for the Kumo rando I’ll definitely look into alu ones.

Also need to find a friend with a dremel or somesuch to trim the fenders stays, they’re sticking out a bit too much. I did trim the front ones because they weren’t clearing the down tube, but it was a bit of a pig’s job with my crappy hacksaw. That steel is hard!

I use bolt cutters.

yep

Pack them in the 16 for the weekend?

Yeah righto (although snot gunna be the 16 for this trip methinks).

For players at home, something like 25cm long bolt cutters are tough to get through fender stays. I just got some that are about 35-40cm long and they’re much easier. Stick a rag over the cut so the bit doesn’t ping off and get you in the eye.

Ta, will ask my tool-laden neighbours first

Nah, I’ll bring them, just not sure about the 16 doing this trip.

Just saw the pics too:

Turns out I was right.

I saw Seb riding this today. Pete, you ARE right

Rad x10 x2 x12.

I also really like this bike.

awesome

oh snap!