First CX Build

Yep. Get some CX70 Rings off JensonUSA (Shimano CX70 Compact Chainring > Components > Drivetrain > Chainrings | Jenson USA). Like I said the lines aren’t quite as clean as if you were running shimano CX70 cranks, but it’s pretty negligible. I can take a pic of them for you if you like?

Re: Rear mech, Medium cage fer shur. Bigger cassettes are cooler.

Luke, this looks sweet. It’ll be good to see this stud completed (BTW I hear that our next Canberra overnighter should be in September)

I’ve used Campy Scirocco CX wheels on my Cross-check. I think they are excellent and come up relatively cheep on Google, without being the cheapies of the cheapies. I’ve done everything on them since over 2 years (dirt, road, the occasional race) and can’t fault them at all. Since you’re going the Shimano/Sram road, note that these come Shimano/Sram or Campy compatible (something you choose when you order the wheels).

Jenson rings are ~$110. Cx70 complete is $150…

If you don’t have cranks, just get the cx70 crankset straight up. Don’t buy 50-34 rival cranks and replace the rings. That’ll cost a ton.

Honestly, don’t get 5700/6700 unless you get a deal used. Either go straight to 5800 11 speed or stick with SRAM.

Don’t bother with the climbers kit. Get a medium cage x9 type 2, wippermann chain and the Sram/shimano ten sp mtb cassette you want. Only fractionally more money for a much better setup.

SRAM rival shakes unless you can get used force.

Cx70 front mech, 34.9 clamp on bottom pull I believe.

If you do go shimano, get a medium cage m772/m592/m4000 9sp shadow mech. The 6700 only takes a 30t on the cassette.

The shadow mech or x9 will also need an inline adjuster for indexing.

Ok I like that - I am definitely leaning towards SRAM so lets stick with that for the moment (before I confuse myself further).

So I could go the SRAM X9 Type 2 10 Speed Rear Mech -
SRAM X9 Type 2 10 Speed Rear Mech | Chain Reaction Cycles

And then mix it up with the Shimano CX70 Double 10 Speed Front Mech (34.9 clamp, bottom pull) -
Shimano Ultegra CX70 Double 10sp Front Mech | Chain Reaction Cycles

That will work right? The BB is threaded, so what are my crank options there? - Was looking at the Rival Compact?
wiggle.com.au | SRAM Rival Compact Chainset | Road Chainsets

I think Rival shifters are cheaper Stateside (JensonUSA or BikeWagon) than CRC/Wiggle.
Also Evans Cycles can be cheap (tho’ they did send me a used crankset once … was a pain in the arse to swap back. CRC just sent me a used X7 RD too … :O)

Cool - I will shop around once I get the shopping list sorted :slight_smile: Just using the links for reference at the moment to make sure what I am looking at is the right kit - I am all over the place with this at the moment haha.

This is fun dude. I’m excited for you.

ribble do the Shimano CX cranks pretty cheap

<$100 last check

For the last time, cx70 crankset! Or 5750 if you want 50:34.

Cheaper/better.

Plus 5700/6700 BB cups.

Avoid cx50 /tiagra. Not hollow forged.

Ok ok - so this is where I am at… am I missing anything or misinterpreted anything? The links are just for reference at the moment.

Rear Mech
SRAM X9 Type 2 10 Speed Rear Mech
SRAM X9 Type 2 10 Speed Rear Mech | Chain Reaction Cycles

Front Mech
Shimano CX70 Double 10 Speed Front Mech (34.9 clamp, bottom pull)
Shimano Ultegra CX70 Double 10sp Front Mech | Chain Reaction Cycles
**Would I be better with a SRAM front Mech? Or am I totally ok to mix and match noting I have the Shimano Crankset

Crankset
Shimano Ultegra FC CX70 10 Speed Chainset
wiggle.com.au | Shimano Ultegra FC-CX70 Cyclo-Cross 10-Speed Chainset | Road Chainsets

Cassette
SRAM PG1070 10 Speed Cassette - Road (11-32?)
wiggle.com.au | SRAM PG1070 10 Speed Cassette - Road | Cassettes And Freewheels

Chain
Wippermann Connex 10SB 10 Speed Chain
wiggle.com.au | Wippermann Connex 10SB 10 Speed Chain | Chains

Levers
SRAM Rival DoubleTap Shift and Brake Lever Set
wiggle.com.au | SRAM Rival DoubleTap Shift and Brake Lever Set | Gear Levers And Shifters Road

Bottom Bracket
? Not sure - The BB is threaded - is there a another name I should be looking out for? I see BB30 and GXP thrown around a bit.

I can deal with the bars, stem and pedals (unless you all have any strong suggestions).
I have the seatpost and saddle sorted for the moment and once I get sort this out, I will start looking at wheels.

Just get 5700 or 6700 English threaded external BB cups. About $25.

GXP is SRAMs equivalent but not compatible

Good to go.

So something like this - wiggle.com.au | Shimano Ultegra 6700 Bottom Bracket Cup Set | Bottom Brackets

Is that it? Am I good to order all of the above? :slight_smile: Is everyone happy? haha.

Awesome! That gives me a timeframe to get this sorted!

Blakey approved. Full steam ahead Luke.

String suggestions. pffft! plz, dis is FOA. Thats what we’re all about.

Drops - Definately go compacts If you’re like me you’ll spend a lot more time in the drops on dirt than on sealed - either descending or climbing. Most brands make them these days, FSA do some that are pretty cheap (Chris might even have a set he can flip you cheap). My favs are Salsa Cowbells as they have a slight flair, not dissimilar to a classic rando bar (minus the backsweep). Commuter Cycles used to stock them and I imagine they still do.

Pedals, if you’re going Shimano defs go M540s. Much, much better than M520s for not much more dough. Pretty much as good as XTs but not black. Time Atac are meant to be the biz. Never run them myself (too many bikes with SPDs to change) but would like to try them at some stage.

:thumbs up:

haha - so I am a little hesitant mixing the Shimano and SRAM components, also the SRAM X9 is listed at a MTB dereailleur. Are you guys 100% positive this will be all good? Or should I just go ALL Shimano or SRAM?

Should be worth noting I have never had anything to do with SRAM hence why I am keen to try it out… also the black components would look slick with the frame.

Again - sorry for the ‘Noobness’

if it comes from smuggy’s mouth or fingers, it’s as good as gold.

EDIT: ^Dfunkt speaks the truth.

No. chop and choose according to what functions best. Sramano FTW.

SRAMs MTB and road 10-speed both use 1:1 actuation which means they are 100% compatible (no hacks required). I’ve run mid cage 10-speed MTB (X9 and X7) derailleurs with doubletap levers for 3 years no. No probs whatsoever.

I would recommend a long cage RD if you think you want to run standard road compact chainrings (50/34) and a 11-36T cassette tho’ Needed for chainwrap. you can get away with 48/34 + 11-36 with a mid cage.

FWIW Polly has his Geekhouse tourer set up with SRAMANO and a RD/MTB mix. Totes #trending #fixiefamous.

Thats what Liam said as well, so I will just go for it!

I need to figure out what size the BB is, fairly sure it’s 68mm. Also need to decide on the cassette, I will probably go 11-28 unless convinced otherwise. Then I am pretty sure I am good to go.

Shimano Cranks, BB, Cassette and Front Derailleur
SRAM Rear Derailler and Levers.

Just to put Lukes mind at ease… do you guys enjoy helping people out like this? Or do you find it irritating. I know the answer, I just want Luke to see it.

I yelled this out to Aeons when I was riding with him the other day - I have been riding MTB seriously for a long time (13ish years), but I just don’t acquire any knowledge. I put this down to buying mostly off the shelf bikes instead of putting together a bike with components of your choice… also because my brain doesn’t really soak up these sorts of details.

I admire the knowledge bank that FoA has - it really is my go to place for EVERYTHING. Instead of a search engine set as my default, I have FoA.

FoAHUGZ.

As you were.