first post - first fixie

frame unknown - 27"
soma urban pursuit bars
46/17 fixed gearing
home brew drop brake brackets
B43 / deep-v wheels

now the saddle and pedals will eventually go, but not before the crummy brake lever. i am trying to fiind a brake lever that wlill fit on the bar end like the cane creek ones maybe. trouble is the 24mm diameter… any ideas here as to what fits well ?

now for the big question - frame colour - currently primed, and awaiting something a bit grighter that goes with the blue rims / gold chain / sprocket
? light pink ? bright yellow !

whatd’ya think ?

What size is the front rim? Looks like your brake is really struggling to reach even with that bracket.

To be honest, I think you need a bigger frame.

The frame is built for 27" with clearance for fenders too, so it’s a big drop to a 700C rim.

For that drop bolt setup, it’s too short, the pad is going to hit your tyre sidewall, causing a blowout, and there’s no bracing between the two plates.

Make new plates that are a few mm longer between the holes and get a length of tube and cut it to fit between the plates, then you can tighten the brake bolt properly.

Or, if the brake hole to rim distance is <73mm, get a Tektro long reach brake (i.e. R556), or an old Weinmann Vanquier 730 centrepull and ditch the drop bolt.

yeah, the pad does hit the tyre. i plan to make a proper one with pretty round edges this weekend. that was a prototype to see if it works ( it does, very little flex). if it ends up lookin ok it’ll stay. the long reach brakes just end up so wide so i’m trying to avoid that atm.

wheels are 700c, frame is 57cm, but i am 6’2 so its perfect.

I ride 56cm frames generally and I’m probably 5"10 with shoes on. But if you’re happy with it that’s all that matters.

It’s the setup of your seat and stem that make me think you could do with a bigger frame.

But…like I said, if you’re happy with it, nothing else matters. Enjoy it.

yeah, what he said - the amount of saddle setback and your stem length have me thinking the same way. I’m 6’2 and all my bikes are in the 59-60 TT, 58-59 ST range (but everyone’s different)

now for the big question - frame colour - currently primed, and awaiting something a bit grighter that goes with the blue rims / gold chain / sprocket
? light pink ? bright yellow !

Yellow. not pink

nice ride …

Yeah, i agree about the seat. How do you find the Soma Urban Pursuit Bars? Was looking at a pair the other day.
fixedyo, what’s with all the posts??

nice bike, just got myself a frame that had 27inch wheels on it, so am planning to do the same with the drop bolt for 700c wheels

I think he’s being nice and throwing us compliments like it aint no thang, using the word ‘nice’ in 11 out of 19 posts.

11 out of 19 aint bad if you’re Meatloaf.