Fixed + knee injuries

i got one of these foam rollers too. working on the theory that more pain now = less pain later.

what the fuck is an IT band?

hopefully you never have to find out…

I didn’t bother getting a roller but got a cannister of tennis balls.

The canister is like a roller, and if you use the tennis balls you can get right into the muscles in your arse where the itb joins up with the extra bit.

Put all your weight on the tennis ball and the sorest part of the muscle/tendon. Fucking ouch.

I also use one of those foam pilates roll things (less frequently than I should) - they do a reduced version of what a good deep tissue sports massage does and are therefore excellent - the more you use them the less painful it gets.

I also have knees that crack a bit mainly when doing things like squats at the gym - I was told that sound is nitrogen popping in the joints/cartilege. My old man and (when he was around) grandfather both get/had gout - its heritary and I was told I can expect to get it when I’m older (than I am now).

Slightly off topic but I also use compression tights and reckon they work really well for muscle soreness/lactic dissapation after long rides.

SW

IME/O cold water immersion works even better, but it’s not for the faint-of-heart :eek:

knees are overrated.

if anyone ese is or has experienced the shithead that is ITB syndrome, PM me for a pdf that i just got my hands on that has a pretty comprehensive overview of how to prevent and treat it. it’s directed more at runners but a lot of the same principles apply, i guess.

i hurt my knee last week, riding the roady around mostly now :(.
waiting till next week before i consider a physio, else they will tell me not to play polo

Don’t wait, get in while the injury is still fresh so they know exactly where the pain is. Take pics even, so they can see if it is swollen at all…

I had a full knee reconstruction when i was 17, they took the graft from my patella tendon rather than the standard hamstring graft-so i could when rehabilitated still have a good range of motion in my hamstrings because i was playing soccer at a high level at the time. I also had a fair whack of my medial miniscus removed, and in the same injury grade 2 tear of the medial ligament, safe to say i did a pretty good job of completely annihilating my knee. Sometimes i get some discomfort in my patella tendon and occasionally get some internal discomfort in the knee that was injured, stretching has been the key for me, takes so much stress of the joints even when not in action, just make sure also you’re riding a bike that’s properly fit to you, IMO it’s worth the $100-$350 (mine cost $150 but have heard figures in that range) to get a proper bike fit done, they take into consideration any injuries you have.

I’m off to see my ortho in an hour or so. Two-three weeks ago I dislocated and already ACL reconstructed left knee f*cking around on bikes.
I reckon surgery on Thursday will be recommended.

As I predicted…surgery happened today.
:frowning:

After tearing the meniscus in my left knee about 5 months ago I’m back riding fixed with an easier gear ratio and I’m riding slower than I normally do to avoid skidding and pressure on the knees when reducing speed. So far it feels fine. Occasionally I get a clicking feeling in my knee but figured that’s come from the injury. Truthfully I’m glad I can walk on it again after using crutches and limping for 2 months.
I was encouraged to do legs at the gym once a week but keep the weight low. So far so good.

I’ve spoken to my father and other people I know who have had surgery and not one person has recommended getting it done.

Do you run a brake?

powdah yeah I know the feeling I have terrible knees and ended up on crutches and in a leg splint for 6 weeks have been referred to surgery many times except everyone including the surgeons recommends against it as it is a long recovery time and not a complete fix in the long run

i’ve just been told that i need 3-12 months of intense, painful massage every week if i’m to see an improvement in my knee.

this is good/bad.

that’s a bummer…but if it works then it’s good i guess.

my knee decided to pack it in again…a few weeks of no soccer (another injury) and it’s stiffened right up. riding seems ok though…just gotta keep stretching and managing the pain.

fuck man, were your ITBs that tight?