For all youse geeks and nerds

For reasons I can’t go into right now, I have to aquaint myself with this standards document EN14786
while a lot of it is tech bs there are some interesting bits on various braking strengths as well as breaking points of things and geometry.
Anyway as my latest project progresses I’ll update this thread.

The EU standards are seemingly a lot more complicated and comprehensive than the Australian ones. I’ve been testing the bamboo bikes I build using this test method:

To comply with Australian Standard AS/NZS 1927:1998 a bike frame has to undergo the following test:

a) Anchor the rear wheel axle attachment points.
(b) Apply a force of 890 N to the front axle attachment point towards and in line with the rear wheel axle and from the deflection reading compute the energy absorbed in joules.
(c) Should the energy absorption reading at 890 N be less than 40 J increase the force until this figure is attained.

Here’s the apparatus that I came up with to do the test:

[video=youtube_share;3MArn1vsQ2o]http://youtu.be/3MArn1vsQ2o[/video]

As they’re one off frames I can’t really do fatigue testing as that ends up destroying the frame, which would kinda defeat the purpose of it all, but maybe one day I’ll get the time and money to make one and send it off to Germany for testing, just to see what happens.

If you’re building custom one-off frames or track bikea it’s also good to know that the Australian Standards don’t actually apply anyway, you can build whatever you want and ride it! Here’s the excerpt from the standard:

This Standard specifies safety requirements for the design, assembly, and performance of
all types of pedal bicycles and subassemblies of pedal bicycles having a wheelbase of
640 mm or greater, but excludes track racers and one-of-a-kind bicycles.

here’s the second video from that test… this forum strangely only allows one video per post…

[video=youtube_share;e0Hrfb3g6Ic]http://youtu.be/e0Hrfb3g6Ic[/video]

Good point, was hoping I would get this kind of feed back, but as CA uses the UCI rules to base their equipment rules on, then any CA sanctioned event requires bike to be within the UCI and EU regs.
The only exception I can see to this is the helmet standard, but, only on the road, for track events on a velodrome you can use any with a EN rating, it does not need an AUS .

Below is the next stage of the project, the first beta, the final will include images, anyone care to proof read and point out anything that does not make sense please?
I will add a bit more into the general bike rules, the main thing at the moment is the setups.

[i]It is the responsibility of the rider to be aware of the rules and ensure there bikes conform to the latest rules.

General Bicycle definitions.
For track events bikes must be fitted with a single fixed wheel
For any event not held on a velodrome, bikes must be fitted with a free wheel and separate brakes operating via hand levers on the front and rear wheel.

General Testing Notes.
Bikes may be tested at anytime before or after an event.
In the case of an incident components my be inspected by officials.
Failure to comply may result in disqualification.

General rules applied to all bicycles used in road, track and cx events.
Minimum weight of bicycle is 6.8kg
Handlebars at the points of hand holds must be above the top of the tyres.
Handlebars must be a minimum of 50 mm behind the centre of the front axle.
Handlebars must be covered at the points of hand hold, or have special surfaces that prevent slippage.
Handlebars and extensions must be plugged.

Saddle must not be more than 3 degrees off horizontal.
Saddle may not have any extra lumber supports.

General Rules for Track events.
All Electronic displays must be hidden from view while racing.
Quick Release wheels or other fittings are not permitted in any track events.
Singles or tubular tyres rolling off on the track can result in serious penalties.

Bicycle Setups

Below are the simplified rules that apply to a rider’s position in the race posture.

Sprint Position may used for the following track events:
Sprint
Kerein
Team Sprint
*Time Trial

• For individual time trials on the track either the sprint of pursuit position may be used.

Pursuit Position may be used for the following events:
Individual Pursuit (Track)
Team Pursuit (Track)
*Time Trial (Track)
Time Trial (Road)
Team Time Trial (Road)

• For individual time trials on the track either the sprint of pursuit position may be used.

Sprint position:
Saddle tip may not be in line but not front of the bottom bracket.
Maximum distance from centre of bottom bracket to hand holds 750 mm,
NO ALLOWANCE over the 750 mm if saddle is less than 50 mm behind bottom bracket.

Pursuit Position.
Saddle must be at least 50 mm behind bottom bracket.
Maximum distance from centre of bottom bracket to end of hand hold 750 mm.
This can be increased to a maximum of 800mm, for body shape.
Notes on Pursuit Position.
The 800mm max is allowed if the upper and forearm may not have an angle greater than 120 degrees when in the racing position.
NO ALLOWANCE over the 750 mm if saddle is less than 50 mm behind bottom bracket.
Bottom Bracket /saddle position is tested using a plumb line to ensure the riders knee does not come in front of the bottom bracket with cranks are horizontal to the ground.

[/i]

Thank you Blakey-feed back much appreciated :wink:
But think it could in theory deem saddles with a raised back such as the concor no longer legal, need clarification on this …

Concor dosnt have lumbar support it is no where near your lumbar.

Handlebars must be a minimum of 50 mm behind the centre of the front axle.

Which part of the handlebars is that referring to?

What’s the project anyway?

Thanks and good point, just picked this as an example of a saddle with a raised rear …
The UCI rules are sometimes too vague and the english translation form the original french is often the problem. I’ll go back to the french on this one.

The ruling was bought in to Cam Meyer using the 3ttt sphinx bars .
The project is an idea for clarification of existing and current UCI rules, there are still a few grey areas that mean the testing is not always consistant- while it makes no difference to general riding, at state titles and nationals it can mean a bike change!