Gear Ratios

soz, was a bit pissy. but yeh, that’s what i ride…

44/16 i love it so far.

48/16 with brake.

Not for everybody but I love it.

… and no skidding.

I can pop a series of short ones to knock speed off down hill but nope… no real skidding.

Unless its wet. Then I get all excited.

Was more referring to the 1 or 2 skid patches.

dude it 's better if u get 44/17 ( that’s what i’m riding )
u then get more skidpatches …
and more importantly saves money in ur pocket :wink:

Ironically my most recent new tire was for the front. Sidewall blew out at about 40kph. Scary shit.

I do a quick check of my rear patches every now and then and the rear is starting to show a bit of a flat patch but not relying on skids 100% of the time means its not that bad.

44/15 heaps of pull and a good amount of skid patches
was on 44/16 but too hard on tyres

One difference in running say 48:17 or 42:15 is the number of links in your chain.

It depends on the length of your dropouts and how much wheel clearance you have - but you might find running the bigger rings/cogs means you have to run more links in your chain. Personally, I prefer messing around with cogs and chainrings than I do chains.

i’m confused what would 18/46 make then? anyone else ride this? i think i need a 47t chainring to have less skid patches?is this correct?

you want more skid patches, not less.

on a 700c wheel*:
46:18 gives you approx 67 gear inches and 9 skid patches
47:18 gives you approx 69 gear inches and 18 skid patches

I say approximately because tyre size makes a slight difference. Skid patches are assuming you brake with the same leg every time. If you can skid with left foot back and right foot back, you’ll double the number of skid patches in the cases above (note that this doesn’t always apply - for example 50:19 would only ever have 19 skid patches)

thanks that makes more sense!

Once again, this software will make calculating ratios and skid patches easy.

http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/rabbit.applet.html

I founnd out the other day though that to calculate gearing for track, the nominal wheel size is 27", not 700x23c (supposedly).

thanks jolan that helps even more, cheers!

Think I’m going to change to a 46/16 to spin/skid a bit more.

Sucks that I’ll only have 8 skid patches if I change it. :expressionless:

my new setup will be 46/16 when my pakes come.

haha just read this after i got a new 16t dura ace grrr made me upset :P. But mayby ill go get a 17t soon though is it really worth it ?

Yea good read. It writes off 1/8" chains in favour of 3/32". if there is no strength advantage, as they claim why is a commonly held belief that single speeds and fixies should run 1/8".

what is the consensus?

(chainring/cog)*27