Gear Ratios

I believe the strength argument - though properly installed chains rarely break whether 1/8" or 3/32" so it’s not really an issue. 1/8" setup has a longer wear life which is relevant for SSs.

I ride 50/19 which gives you 69 gear inches and 19 skid patches.
Perfect for the street and can change to a 14 for the track.

42/18 any good for street riding?

Do you need to take out or add chain links when swapping?

Is anyone riding 46x17? How does it feels as city riding?

In the past I’ve done the same thing 50/19 on the street turning the wheel around to 50/14 for the track - and yes, I needed to add links. Using 2 springclips meant changing the gearing by about 25 GI was only a couple of minute job.

mostly just because trackies are a traditional lot…

i am on one bike, it’s good. guess it depends on what city you’re in, too, though.

I have it on one bike too.

I don’t mind it.

had 46 x 17 for ages, was great.

put it up to 47 x 17 a while ago, and it’s stayed, mostly because i’m lazy though. a bit slower off the mark but i reckon i do about 150km/h down wilson st.*

*in my mind at least

yeh sorry for late reply,
I usually take out 2 links, very quick and easy change.

my polo bike runs 34/20 and 34/15. I literally use all of the drop out to use both combinations.

why such a wide range of ratios?

probably so he can get home without looking like hes riding a clown bike…

^^ its a 10km commute to polo and it didn’t take long to realise that riding around on 45gi isn’t very fun. :stuck_out_tongue:

i ride 48/17 seems good…

50/18

Fair good.

45X17 with a 25mm tyre
30 something skid patches if you skid with both legs.
Works for me. Lots of hills, no brakes, good on flat and you can stop coming down hills!

Ran 46x17 for ages then a few months ago geared down to 44x17.

Spinners are winners!

I used to run 46 x 17 but changed to 46 x 18 a while back for rides with the girlfriend and it stuck on me. Spinning down small hills is sweet and it’s only really bigger ones such as the Col de Studley where it I spin out and end up using the brake.